My substrate is turning white all over?

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
ahouseofscales said:
Looks like you might have a bacterial bloom and detritus worms... Could we get a picture of the entire tank?
How do i treat those worms, ive never had them before, baterial blooms just go away eith time though correct, i was expecting maybe thatx just shocked m still how much it effected.

ahouseofscales said:
Looks like you might have a bacterial bloom and detritus worms... Could we get a picture of the entire tank?
And how did i get them?

Attachments

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Detritus worms are not harmful but now that I see your full tank I don't think they're the issue. I see three issues: black beard algae, green algae, and a very bad bacterial bloom. The white coating on the substrate is probably related to the bacteria. All of these issues are related to an excess of nutrients in the tank from fish waste. Do you mind telling me your maintenance routine and details on your tank?

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
ahouseofscales said:
Detritus worms are not harmful but now that I see your full tank I don't think they're the issue. I see three issues: black beard algae, green algae, and a very bad bacterial bloom. The white coating on the substrate is probably related to the bacteria. All of these issues are related to an excess of nutrients in the tank from fish waste. Do you mind telling me your maintenance routine and details on your tank?
Ive been doing a water chsnge about every 2 days fighting the algae, they are in a rough spot because we had suprise babies with nowhere to go, ive got another tank cycling for them right now but yeah. Right now the tank is a no filterx because it normally has plants but the algae killed all of them except a few so im gonna install a filter until i can order more. Theres a molly, 3 guppies, and roughly 20 week old molly babiesx im just trying to do insane matienance to keep them safe before the other tank cycles

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
ahouseofscales said:
Will they go away when i keep up again or do i need to try algaefix or something like that?

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
you need a filter first and foremost. what size tank is it?
I have a 10 gallon filter which it is, but its not my biggest concern considering people do no filter tanks a decent amount it just needs a balanced ecosystem and proper maintenance.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
But if your headline reads "White stuff all over my substrate" I can't imagine you have quite reached the balanced stage let alone the cycled stage of your tank so i would get the filter running and "balance" it out first.

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Blondeath said:
Do you have an air stone or anything keeping the water moving?
Yes i do

kallililly1973 said:
But if your headline reads "White stuff all over my substrate" I can't imagine you have quite reached the balanced stage let alone the cycled stage of your tank so i would get the filter running and "balance" it out first.
I love the passive agressiveness on this forum, it was cycled, if you had read my explanation to another person youd realize the bacteria bloom is becauae of the fact im waiting to get another tank cycled before i move the too many fish in this tank from supriae babies to another. Im not here for this, im here to get a confirmed ID on what it is in case it was a fungus, like the ones im alresdy treating. It also happened because i switched out some of the regular decorations for halloween ones tanking away the bb within the decorations and surface area, i thought i did it slow enough and left enoughmature stuff in but i was wrong.

Blondeath said:
Do you have an air stone or anything keeping the water moving?
I also have heaters and a light made for exposing plants to.

kallililly1973 said:
Plus putting a filter in only for awhile wouldnt balance it out becsuse oncd i removed it the bb in thr filter would be gone and id have another bloom :)

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Blondeath said:
Well that’s good. I was just asking about something to keep the water moving because of the huge bacterial bloom
Alright, thanks, any idea on what to do with the other stuff, i was on defense mode because some people here run with their beliefs and not really what the person needed. Thank you so much for your imput :) i appreciate the help.

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bellaona said:
Alright, thanks, any idea on what to do with the other stuff, i was on defense mode because some people here run with their beliefs and not really what the person needed. Thank you so much for your imput :) i appreciate the help.
How long are your lights on a day and what light do you have? You could always try a black out and then turn your light down and the hours back?

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Blondeath said:
How long are your lights on a day and what light do you have? You could always try a black out and then turn your light down and the hours back?
About 12 hours right now because the babies need light, bht i could try that especislly now that all the plants are dead haha

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bellaona said:
About 12 hours right now because the babies need light, bht i could try that especislly now that all the plants are dead haha
I would turn it back to at most 8. I only have mine on for 7.
Do fry need direct light or just ambient lighting? You could just have a light in the room on for the other remaining 4 hours? Just a thought i dont know anything about fry

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Blondeath said:
I would turn it back to at most 8. I only have mine on for 7.
Do fry need direct light or just ambient lighting? You could just have a light in the room on for the other remaining 4 hours? Just a thought i dont know anything about fry
Ill do the 8, it should be enough now that they are a week old. Thanks for the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom