my strange anubias Funny

1. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    now when i first got my anubias it was cool looking i had already heard that it was an easy plant-YAY! so when i later do some research i find i could split it's rhizomes and make more plants!.... so i did i split it into two plants one part had 3 leaves other had 4, well long story short there.. killed the 3 leaf part.N O O O!
    some EASY SUPER HARDY plant right?... anywho i got back to trying to make my 4 leafer grow better... having it emerged instead of submersed(leaves started to shrivel) i tried higher lights and lower lights... NOTHING WORKING!!!! so i gave up on trying to change it and let it just float around... NOW!!! i couple days ago a new leaf started! 4 days later its a nice dark green like the rest of the leaves....lol? 4 days... i worked months snipping root ends too and such..., and here it grows on its own without me!...my plant hates me :-[

and i got a kick out of this slow growing plant... easy to divide and culture, pops a new leaf out of no where, to 4 days later is like its always been there.

2. scatty

scatty Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha ha. Stupid plant. That sounds like something that would happen to me :giggle:

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Anubias are one of the easiest plants to grow :) Here's a link with a little information about plants with rhizomes https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/45894-plants-rhizomes.html
    If the rhizome was bruised when it was cut it will rot and die. Yes they just sprout leaves out of nowhere :)
    If you want to grow them emersed they have to start our under the surface of the water and allowed to grow out of the water as it acclimates to a different way of growing. I have one doing that right now.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    well thanks maybe didn't give it enough time to get used to being mostly out of water...
    but i used VERY sharp knife... pretty sure i didn't bruise it.
    i love it my plant has jsut as much personality as my fish lol...(that of being impossible)