my strange anubias Funny

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

now when i first got my anubias it was cool looking i had already heard that it was an easy plant-YAY! so when i later do some research i find i could split it's rhizomes and make more plants!.... so i did i split it into two plants one part had 3 leaves other had 4, well long story short there.. killed the 3 leaf part.N O O O!
    some EASY SUPER HARDY plant right?... anywho i got back to trying to make my 4 leafer grow better... having it emerged instead of submersed(leaves started to shrivel) i tried higher lights and lower lights... NOTHING WORKING!!!! so i gave up on trying to change it and let it just float around... NOW!!! i couple days ago a new leaf started! 4 days later its a nice dark green like the rest of the leaves....lol? 4 days... i worked months snipping root ends too and such..., and here it grows on its own without me!...my plant hates me :-[

and i got a kick out of this slow growing plant... easy to divide and culture, pops a new leaf out of no where, to 4 days later is like its always been there.

2. scatty Member Member

Ha ha ha. Stupid plant. That sounds like something that would happen to me :giggle:

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Anubias are one of the easiest plants to grow :) Here's a link with a little information about plants with rhizomes https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/45894-plants-rhizomes.html
    If the rhizome was bruised when it was cut it will rot and die. Yes they just sprout leaves out of nowhere :)
    If you want to grow them emersed they have to start our under the surface of the water and allowed to grow out of the water as it acclimates to a different way of growing. I have one doing that right now.
    Carol

4. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well thanks maybe didn't give it enough time to get used to being mostly out of water...
    but i used VERY sharp knife... pretty sure i didn't bruise it.
    i love it my plant has jsut as much personality as my fish lol...(that of being impossible)