My Stormy Is Listless After Adding A Heater

Dixie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a wonderful betta name Stormy. I have had him four months and he has done perfectly well in a betta cube that you pour water in daily and old water cycles out the bottom into a reservoir. In addition I change the water completely every week even though the directions say you don't need to. I keep him in a room that stays at 74 degrees. I should of left well enough alone! But, I added a Marine Betta heater designed for these small tanks. I checked the water temp before going to bed and it was 79 degrees. When I got up in the morning Stormy was floating at the top sideways, listless. The water temp was 82 degrees. I took the heater out! Its been two days now and he is still floating this way. Occasionally he will go to the bottom and lay there, but he is definitely not the lively engaging guy he was. I feel terrible, I wish I would never have put the heater in! I don't understand though. Everything I have read says they need water warmer than 74 degrees.

After reading some of the posts here, I know you all are going to say he needs a five gallon tank, which I will get. Right now though I just want to try to make him better. Is there anything I can add to his water? Some sea salt? Feed him peas? Does increased water temp cause swim bladder problems?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Bettas do prefer 78-80 degrees. I'm thinking that the rise in temperature might have been too quick and shocked him, and taking out the heater made it drop again, which may have shocked him again. If that's the case, there's not much you can do right now but wait and see if he improves.

Tank size and parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? Picture?

OP
D

Dixie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For some reason I am having trouble downloading the pictures I emailed to myself from my phone. I use to do this all the time, but on my new laptop it doesn't seem to work.

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about tank size and parameters?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The "betta cube" that I know of that you pour water into and the old water comes out is incredibly tiny, plus it's tall and narrow. My guess is that the water heated far too fast for him to adapt to, plus may have driven the oxygen out of the water. I would add an air stone to try to encourage greater gas exchange. Do you have a larger container that's never been washed with soap, like a plastic shoebox sort of thing? I would move him to that with the heater and air stone. I also highly recommend you get a sponge filter and begin the cycling process.

Welcome to the forum!

New Threads