My Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Itsme, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Itsme

ItsmeValued MemberMember

I have a filtered,heated 5gal tank.My current stocking looks like this:

1 male Betta
    2 female Guppies
    2 Nerite snails

Is this ok?

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Female guppies are not a good mix. You might try a couple male Endlers in the tank. But female guppies (actually all guppies) just get to big and active for a 5. Be aware there will be contention on keeping other fish with a betta. Why? Simply because betta fish tend to come in two packages... friendly and serial killer. If your already doing ok and want other fish, I would regime the guppies and swap in 2 or better 3, male Endlers. IMHO.

3. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

The betta may attack the guppies, betta communities with other fish aren't recommended for under 20g since they're territorial.

Guppies can be nippy and obnoxious, especially around fish with long fins.

The females are almost certainly already pregnant and will give birth to 30-50 fry monthly for up to 6 months (they can store sperm).

I would rehome or return the guppies. Personally I think endlers are risky as well, they are close relatives of guppies. You could try some shrimp, their antics are very interesting to watch.

4. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above!

Just a small change but average birth is 20-40 fry!

But yep as mentioned definitely want to rehome the female guppies.

5. ashenwelt

What about being a relative of the guppy is your concern? Just wondering, many of us keep them together. Remember the color hunting for Bettas is a myth.

Informational ask... even though I do it but I know that others debate it.

Oh and most female guppies are sold pregnant.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  6. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Behavior, they're active and like guppies, can be nippy around slower long-finned fish. It may work in a larger tank, but I wouldn't try it in a 5g.

7. ashenwelt

Hmm. I actually have never seen an endler nip. They are very inquisitive though and they do spar amongst themseleves.

8. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Oh and most female guppies are sold pregnant.[/QUOTE]

Imo most livebearers are actually... a few days after my platys came home one gave birth! At least the store informed me that the female is probably pregnant... usually the never warn you! I took my chances. :p

PS: What is up with the quoting?

9. ashenwelt

Imo most livebearers are actually... a few days after my platys came home one gave birth! At least the store informed me that the female is probably pregnant... usually the never warn you! I took my chances. :p[/QUOTE]
    Yeah... pretty much always. They breed young and often.

10. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

IMO, a 5 gallon only just big enough for a Betta. If it was me, I would only try a community tank with a Betta in a 15-20 gallon aquarium max. Nerite Snails on the other hand would do just fine! :) Addind a few would be quite nice! I think you should re-home the guppies, but obviously it's up to you. :)

11. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

endlers do not nip, they also don't eat their fry as much as the other live bearer. However a 5 gallon is definitely too small to keep other fish with it.