my stocking plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dirtie Bertie, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dirtie BertieNew MemberMember

Hi, I've had my 125l tank set up and running for about 8 weeks now. I did a fishless cycle then after 4
    Weeks when the cycle was complete I added 5 zebra danios they settled fine so after another 2 weeks I added 8 neon tetras they also seem to have settled well.
    My tank has a few fake plants varying in shape and colour, also a fake log which all of the fish seem to enjoy. I intend on buying more fake plants and hiding places.

I have a good idea of what fish I would like to add and would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice as to whether my plan will work or may need some altering.
    I was thinking;
    8 rummy nose tetra
    1 male dwarf gourami ( as I have read 2 may cause problems)
    2 kuhli loach

Would this work well?
    Could I fit any more fish in the tank or would this be my limit? or maybe even too much?
    Any input would be great thanks

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Typically you are supposed to keep at least 6 kuhli loach together. The more kuhli's and the more hiding places you have, the more you will see them. I've had bad luck in the past with Kuhli's. They are extremely shy but if you have plenty of them and plenty of hiding spaces, it makes them feel safe and they come out more.

I would think that with roughly a 33 gallon you could put 6 kuhli's in with that stock and be fine considering you don't have any other bottom dwellers

3. OP
    OP
    D

Dirtie BertieNew MemberMember

Awesome thanks :) I had also thought about getting a bristle nose pleco, would that be a bad idea with the kuhli? I read that they only grow to about 5" would the tank be big enough? A lot of questions I know but I figured this is the place to ask :) thanks again

4. tyguy7760

A BN would not be too big, however they are very heavy on the bioload. I wanted one as well for my 36 gallon but when I realized I could either get a school of cory catfish/kuhli loach or 1 BN Pleco then I decided against it.

Basically with a BN pleco you are trading algae for a whole bunch of fish poo. They poo...a lot. That's pretty much all they do. You would also need to get some driftwood for them as they require it as part of their diet.

There are other things you could get to clean up the tank that don't produce as much waste if that is what you are going for. Oto's and nerite snails do a great job at cleaning algae and don't leave behind as much waste.

Personally I would skip the BN.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thanks sounds like I'll just go with the kuhli they appeal to me a lot more than the bnpleco :)

6. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forum, and yes this is the place to ask all of your questions!

What are the dimensions of your tank? Floor space has a lot to do with stocking levels.

Also which filter do you have?

7. OP
    OP
    D

80cm (31.5") width 35cm x (13.8") deep x 45cm (17.7") tall. It's a Fluval Roma :)

8. KarenLM

With your tank you can stock what you have suggested:

1 Dwarf gourami
    8 Neon tetra
    8 Rummynose tetra
    5 Zebra danios
    6 Kuhli loach

I would up the danios by a couple (maybe up to 8 as you seem to like this number) as they are schooling fish and should be in a group of 6+, and I would add 2-3 nerite snails.

Your tank would be fully stocked.

You would want to have lots of filtration, more than the equipment recommendation.

9. tyguy7760

Agreed

10. OP
    OP
    D

That's great news thanks.
    With regards to the filtration do you mean another filter? I have a Fluval U3.
    And with the snails would I be likely to have a problem with them breeding rapidly?
    I have thought about snails but know little about them.

11. tyguy7760

Nerite Snails have a very small bioload and do not reproduce in freshwater. They will lay eggs but they will not hatch in freshwater.

12. OP
    OP
    D

That's good I'll look into it, I know my lfs stocks a few types of snails thanks :)

13. KarenLM

Your filter is recommended for up to 40gal, however I usually say that would be good for 60% of that or 24gal. So, I would add more filtration for another 30gal if it were me, as you add more fish.

14. KarenLM

Make sure they are nerite snails if you don't want them to multiply! They are roundish and up to an inch in diameter. Google them to see pictures.

15. OP
    OP
    D

I checked them out on Google I was pleasantly surprised with the colour variations I Iimagined them to be quite dull, probably go with the zebra or tiger nerites :)

16. tyguy7760

I have 3 olives in my tank. They keep the ornaments very clean. They don't do as good at cleaning the glass though. My Oto's take care of that for the most part.

17. KarenLM

Yes, they are really attractive. I like the zebras and tigers the best as well.

I don't have any yet (my LFS has been out of them for months) but I here they really keep the tank clean.

You may want to wait on adding them until you have some visible algae. Otherwise you will have to feed them fresh veggies.

18. tyguy7760

Another idea I have seen people do is set an aquarium safe rock outside in some water for a few weeks where it will get direct sun. Algae will grow on it. Put it in your tank and do the same with another aquarium safe rock. Put a fresh algae ridden rock in every week and this will keep your nerites fed if you don't already have a solid algae growth in your tank.

19. OP
    OP
    D

I am thinking about getting some driftwood for the tank as my lfs has some really nice pieces would I need to soak this in some water taken from the tank? If so how long would be sufficient?
    Also what plants would be suitable for a beginner as I have only used fake ones up until this point but would like to have a go at keeping real ones. I am using a sand substrate if that helps.

20. KarenLM

You will want to soak any driftwood in tap water for several weeks to clean it and get it waterlogged. This also leaches out some of the tannins which can turn your tank water brown. I also boil small pieces to get rid of parasites, etc. Large pieces I pour boiling water over them several times.

As for plants, what type of lighting do you have? This will dictate the type of plants you can have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice