My Stocking Plan! Suggestions Please!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sasha94, Aug 7, 2015.

1. sasha94

sasha94Valued MemberMember

I'm stocking my 150 gallon. It has a eco-complete and sand as its substrate. It has lots of driftwood and has a decent amount of plants but I'm working on adding more plants. It's 72"L x 18"W x 28"H. It also has 2 Marineland canister filters (C-220).

pH: 7.0
    ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: 0
    temperature: 79 degrees F

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Plecostomus[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Otocinclus Catfish[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Silver Dollars[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Zebra Danio[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Neon Tetra[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Amano Shrimp[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Red Cherry Shrimp[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Australian Rainbowfish[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Kuhli Loach[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I already have 3 zebra danios, the pleco and a couple of rainbow fish.

Thoughts and suggestions for/about my stocking plan?

Thanks!

2. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

You are going to cycle the tank first...correct? Based on your water parameters, it doesn't show as if you have cycled the tank yet.

By the way..are the Neon Tetras being used as feeder fish for the Silver Dollars? If not...be aware that they WILL be eventually. The Silver Dollars will get quite large and your Tetras will become a tasty snack. The Red Cherry Shrimp might look pretty delicious as well!

Also...Neons need a tank that is seasoned and has stable water parameters. If you have not cycled yet, the neons will never make it through the cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    sasha94

It has been cycling for about 4 months now. The water parameters I posted are from a couple of days ago. Now there's a couple of nitrates. I thought silver dollars are herbivores???

4. biller

billerWell Known MemberMember

Silver dollars are opportunistic feeders and feed on anything and everything. Also silver dollars will devour you plants in no time as well.

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    sasha94

But my dad has some and they live with neon tetras... they are also fairly large... well I guess it's better to be safe than sorry :)

6. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

I'd skip the silver dollars. They're not suited for this kind of community.

The rest of it looks good. You can up the numbers a bit if you want. What kind of pleco are you planning on getting?

Also if your tank has been cycling for four months, what have you been using as an ammonia source?

7. OP
    OP
    sasha94

I used the filter media of a different tank and I have 4 danios, a feeder goldfish and a ton of snails in it currently. I'm going to get some assassin snails soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

I have a small common pleco waiting in a different tank right now

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  8. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

If you do not have an API test kit....get one! I'm not sure if you have one. You WILL need it however. These occasional trips to the fish store to have your water tested is going to get old and prove to be dangerous. That is..IF you don't have one.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree, don't have the silver dollars....also, common plecos are going to be too big for this size tank.
    The tank is only 18 inches wide. A 2 foot pleco is not going to be able to turn around in that. So rehome the common.

10. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

One of the dwarf plecos would work and be thrilled to live in this tank however: clown , bristlenose, bull, etc.

11. Anders247

As would some of the 6-12 inch plecos. They would work too. Like green phantoms, blue phantoms, etc....

12. OP
    OP
    sasha94

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely look into the smaller plecos. :D

13. junebug

14. OP
    OP
    sasha94

Wow they are beautiful!

15. Anders247

Even over green phantoms? Those are beautiful, but green phantoms...... :drool:

16. junebug

Green phantoms are gorgeous too (depending on the species, that's a trade name for several L numbers at least in SD).

But I still don't think they hold a candle to the starlight pleco. Maybe I'm biased, because the fish actually looks like the night sky where I live... and the white fins are about my favorite thing on any fish. Plus I wasn't exaggerating, in person they look like they'd be soft to the touch.