55 Gallon Tank My Stocking List

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey everyone, I've been considering getting a 55 gallon tank due to a 4 foot gap of missing furniture in my room ! I was thinking....

5 yo yo loaches
1 gold gourami
1 BN Pleco
4 Ram Cichlids
2 Angel fish

Does this sound good? It would be a sand bottom tank with a bit of drift wood and some moss covered rock caves. I've heard gouramis and angels don't get along, but I need more opinions on that. Thank you!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dont know about mixing rams and angels. the only thing, other that that, is youre missing a midwater schooling fish.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rams angels will mix fine, but I think 4 in a 55G could get a bit hectic, you will likely get a pair and your other rams will become very stressed an could die.

I'm with Jaysee, you could do with a mid water species.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ive hears mixed on the gourami and angels also and ive been told no every time i ask about putting angels with any other cichlids except discus
I have to disagree. I've had angels with gouramis back aslong as I can remember into fish keeping and they have all been fine. I currently have my angels with bolivian rams and in the past I've had them with german blues. They also share their home with 2 blood parrots and a jack dempsey.

Shawnie also has her angels with a variety of cichlids and atleast 1 gourami.

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I thought Angels were mid dwelling fish? What other fish should I get then?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Angels & Rams are fine together. Most Gouramis are fine with Angels also. 4 Rams is probably going to be a bit much in 55gal with the Yoyo Loaches. The Rams are small & like thier privacy. Yoyo Loaches get much bigger than Rams & are not exactly what you would call considerate when it comes to cichlid territories. I personally don't think Rams & Yoyo Loaches belong in a tank together.

I think your list would be fine if you provide territories for the the Rams & drop the Yoyo Loaches in favour of smaller more peacefull Cories. Add some floating plants into the tank as well. They will be very much appreciated by all of the fish you want to have.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think most tetras will work out for a mid level schooling fish.

how about zebra loaches instead of the yoyos?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think most tetras will work out for a mid level schooling fish.

how about zebra loaches instead of the yoyos?
I agree. If you can get them the zebra loaches would be a much better option. I love my zebras, they are great!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rainbows make a nice schooling fish in a 55. Tetras come in a vary wide variety of sizes and colors as well, but i would stick with a larger variety (skirt, Buenos Aires, or Congo if you can find them) because angels will snack on smaller tetras such as neons and cardinals.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cardnials should be fine and if you want a smaller tetra than get the angels small and the tetras at the same time and when the angels grow they should not view the tetras as food.

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm looking at...

5 zebra loaches

5 boesemani rainbow fish

1 BN Pleco

2 Angels

And my LFS has Zebra Loaches, thank God! Lol I remember seeing them one time and not knowing what they were.... Well now I do.

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I'm looking at...

5 zebra loaches

5 boesemani rainbow fish

1 BN Pleco

2 Angels

And my LFS has Zebra Loaches, thank God! Lol I remember seeing them one time and not knowing what they were.... Well now I do.
I would suggest getting a smaller rainbow and getting more of them. I think 12 dwarf neon rainbows would look better than the 5 boesmanis. Rainbows are hardcore shooling fish - the best IMO.

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aren't neon ranbows and boesmanis about the same size? They both get to around 3 inches from what I've read.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dwarf neon rainbows are much smaller. Not only are they shorter, but also thinner.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh I see now! Thanks.

So now I'm looking at:
6 zebra loaches
6 boesmani rainbowfish
1 BN pleco
2 angels

Does this sound alright? I really want to go with the boesmani, their colours are much more intense and I think they will look better with the sand bottom than the dwarf neons.

Also, if I got a 250 gph canister filter would it be sufficient? And how would I fertilize sand for the plants?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom