My stocking list for my tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dano83, Dec 30, 2012.

1. D

Dano83 Valued Member Member

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

How big is the tank you're planning on putting these guys in?

3. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Dano :) your list seems good to me is the plec a bristle nose? They stay relatively small so it should work well for you :)

Is this a new 55 gallon or is it already set up? Are you going down the planted route?

If its already set up then pictures are always welcomed :D

4. OP
    OP
    D

Dano83 Valued Member Member

yes it's up but not looking the best yet lol. Petsmart by my house don't have a big selection of fish so I made a new stocking list....

6 Lamp Eye Tetra
    8 Black Skirt Tetra
    8 Neon Tetra
    8 Glowlight Tetra
    6 Otto Catfish
    1 Bushynose Pleco

Also I was told it's a bushynose pleco

5. Magoo

I think it's probably a bristle nose plec :) they are cute lol

It still sounds good but to be honest I am not a fan on neon tetras but its your tank not mine ;)

Have you thought about maybe losing a school of tetras and having a centre piece fish?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 55 is a fun tank to stock because there are so many more choices than a smaller tank like a 29 or 45. My suggestion is to get a bottom feeder. I'm a big fan of loaches. I would do 10-15 kuhli loaches, or maybe 8 zebra loaches. You could also go with corys, but in my experience loaches are waaaay more entertaining than corys. Otos and the BN pleco are alright. From there, I would suggest either 2 schools, or 3 if they are small species. I've had a tetra tank and would not get all tetras - in my opinion that makes for a boring tank. I would get different kinds of fish instead. For example, a tetra, a barb and a danio. Then you can get some cichlids as centerpiece fish. That would be a tank with activity at all levels.

My 55 has giant danios, gold barbs, rosy barbs, zebra loaches, bolivian rams, chanchito cichlids and a clown pleco.
    The stock is a little different in the video. I have make an updated one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdjpjLd1NA

7. Magoo

Very cool video you have two very good fishy parents there and beautiful fish too :)

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, considering your looking at the chain stores for most of your fish I would do the following

8 Harlequins
    8 danios you pick the variety and glo fish count for this one
    8 either gold barbs or black neon tetras.

That would give you a really nice stock for schools ifyou want the three kinds. If you went two kinds I would do

14 Harlequins
    12 Danois again your choice

Either way you went you still need some bottom feeders I would think that the BN pleco is fine in the tank, they stay smallish for a pleco.

I would then think either 8-10 Cory cats (other than emerald) stay to the 8 if you go peppered cory while you can get to the 10 or even 12 with panda cory.

You could also do the khuli loaches or most of the other avialible loaches other than clown. Have to do some research on what you want first.

I might even do a group of 6 cory and then 12 khuli as well. They will all get along fine.

As as centerpeice fish in that tank you could do a relaxed gourami (I dont know as much about them as im not a big fan personally) or something like an Angel fish or even a Kribensis, some of the Apistogramas looks really nice as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice