Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

My Sterbai And False Julii Corydoras Are Breeding!

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I have just witnessed my Female Sterbai Corydoras breeding with my male False Julii.
    This is the second time she's laid eggs in 4 days.
    My question is should I try and save them and hatch out the fry or should I leave them to be eaten?

I was thinking of putting them in my RCS tank ( water parameters are identical) and seeing if they hatch or not, but I don't wanna try if there is most likely going to be something wrong with the fry.

Has anyone ever had these 2 breed successfully before?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would let them be eaten, it's not a great idea to allow cory species to interbreed.

3. OP
    OP
    O

That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't have room for 30 Corydoras and I wouldn't want to give them away or sell them and then they get passed off as something they aren't. It's breaking my heart though as I would love to see if they could even hatch.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I would keep the hybrids to study them because Im curious but under no circumstances would I give any of them away. Only God knows what weird stuff can happen if you let your hybrids in the wrong hands.

5. OP
    OP
    O

Yep, that's what I'm worried about. I would be very upset if I paid for a Sterbai and got a mix or vice versa.
    I think I'll just let them get eaten, unless I decide to set up yet another tank and separate the 2 groups.

Advertising