My start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well my Aquaclear filter arrived and is now humming along. Hope to see my light arrive any day now along with a few other things I ordered.

It's not much to look at yet and I am not happy with the rock arrangement yet. Going to go out tomorrow and see if I can get some slate type rocks to build a better ledge/cave area.

I haven't started the official "cycling" process yet because I am waiting on my testing kit to arrive with my other stuff.

I think I am going to order a few plants for the tank... I read that was ok during cycling to have plants in the tank.

Hopefully the "beginning" pics show...

Attachments

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a start. Might I suggest changing the background though. Marine backgrounds with river rocks just does not look right to me. Solid black, or dark green will look best with your rocks IMO.

OP
J

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I know, I changed mode after I had bought the background and went with river rock. Just haven't decided what to replace it with yet...lol

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have some that are solid black with river rocks and driftwood. It will make your tank look deeper,and draw your focus off the back of the tank.

OP
J

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We swapped the background for black plain... it's not tacked down as you can see in the one corner. Undecided if it will be what we go with. Bf found a background he wants to try, I haven't seen it yet.

Wish the pic had turned out a little clearer but we are starting to get that slight filming in the tank while we do our fishless cycling. Played with the rocks some more to get more hiding spots. Have live plants coming end of the week.

Attachments

OP
J

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well my 6 in 1 Jungled water test kit arrived today with my box of goodies from Ken's Fish. So I did the first test as a base before we added our piece of fish to start the cycling process.

First readings before any ammonia is "created"

NO3 = 0
NO2 = 0
GH = was between 150 & 300 ( so basically really hard)
Chlorine = 0
KH = 80 (moderate)
PH = 7.8 (alkaline)

Not sure how bad of a start this is. Guess I have a lot more reading to do..lol

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you test your tap water for ammonia? Sometime tap water does contain ammonia, and it would be good to know if your did, so you could deal with it appropriatly.

OP
J

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I haven't gotten a separate ammonia test kit yet. It's in my notes of to do's. Have to wait for the weekend to try to find something. Sometimes being rural sux...lol.

I played around on AqAdvisor tonight and have a "MAYBE" fish list...

1 x Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
4 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
5 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
5 x Glowlight Danio (Danio choprai)
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
5 x Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia maccullochi)

According to the site the above list of fish should be compatible with each other and my tank set up...

Any thoughts ?? Remember I am weeks away from actually getting any fish in the tank.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like it would be a nice group of fish, but I'm not sure there wouldn't be aggression issues between the shark and the cories. I've never had a Red Tailed Black Shark (or any other shark), so I don't have first hand info on that. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

OP
J

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I posted the list over in the Aquarium Stocking section. Not one person liked the list and a few didn't care for the use of AqAdvisor. Everyone was against the shark and the shark isn't my choice...where in lies the problem..lol. It's difficult to "share" a hobby. I see this turning into a competition of tanks within a few months.

I revised my list but problem is the fish were my choices. While it seemed to pass inspection on the board, it's not really fair for me to use just my choices. So we will be playing with the list and choices or something. Glad we have time waiting for the cycling process.

Stopped at the local pet shop, no plain ammonia kit to be had. They don't stock much of anything anymore (the owners have wanted to sell for the last few years and the lack of interest shows)

Cruised around the tanks. The tanks were mostly gold fish. Had a few gouramis, danios, some tetras, 3 bettas in bowls and a large tank of small cichlids marked mixed cichlids. They were all obvious different breeds/types but I kept thinking if you don't tell ppl what they are how will they be able to take care of them...

There was a pretty bright yellow one that was smaller than the rest. Even though I would hesitate to buy from them.... tanks are grungy looking, dirty in most and not properly cared for the yellow one was very appealing..lol. Would have been a huge mistake but knowing that my tank is NOT ready for fish stopped me from making that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom