My Sons Cherry Shrimp Colony

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

This thread is to track the new cherry shrimp colony started by my son

He has 13 of them in a split 5g with my daughters Betta and a sponge filter and our starting parameters are

Ph 7.5
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20?(needs rechecking post water change)
    Temperature is 78

I don't yet have a kh/gh kit so I need to get a sample to the lfs for testing

Is it worth getting strips for that or should I get the liquid? I have read plenty of threads where people were confused about results on the liquid test....

So far they seem happy, though we lost one to failed moulting this morning

They eat veggies and northfin .5mm community pellets 5966c8b4d6d213c54fe11fb731ee7baf.jpg dbc3819df409e08f00eb46d5706b8164.jpg 610edc3ae53efdc703dc95b0c50696ac.jpg e109c5527fae211f7525b499f6e763d0.jpg 4d2bd64e5e1bdde5a3cf94d246fd01c9.jpg by the way, all constructive input is welcome- the only other shrimp that I have owned were ghosts that I think are really whiskers lol

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Wait, so is the entire tank 5 gallons? Or is it 10 gallons total that you've split into two 5 gallons? If the entire tank is 5 gallons, I think it's too small for the shrimp and betta fish. A 5 gallon tank is ideal for a single betta fish, or a group of shrimp - but not both. If you keep up with water changes, it could work, but I don't see the shrimp being able to molt very effectively.

Also the test strips aren't very accurate. You definitely want to buy APIs master test kit (liquid). If you have trouble reading them, you could also post pictures here and we can help with that :)

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I second the liquid, it's really not hard and the instructions are quite clear.

4. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I have the master test kit already, but have broken 2/3 tubes....so I was thinking that the liquid test was the perfect solution to replace those and let me do tests again myself

The entire tank is 5.
    I change a gallon every couple of days and "drop acclimate " the new water in, so as not to shock the shrimp

He's planning on getting a 5-10 of his own, which will be dedicated and is doing more chores to earn the money for that

From what I gather, we want fluvite as substrate in that ?

The 5 gallon was split originally to limit the Betta's swimming space because he rips his fins any time I give him more room...I have had him in a 29, then a ten, then a 5, then split the five before he stopped tearing his fins up- they're just so long and heavy that the poor guy is always dealing with splits and rot otherwise...... he's had ongoing tears and subsequent rot since November and limiting his space is the only thing that keeps the fins in one piece.....before that he was being treated every couple of weeks for relapse

I had considered putting him in a 2.5 but by then the tank is too small to keep stable :/

5. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

I would definitely get at least a 5 gallon for the betta fish. Betta fish rip their fins regardless of what they're in. They've been bred to have heavy, long flowing fins and often times they nip at them themselves, or they get caught on filters and other sharp objects throughout the tank. You just want to make sure everything is smooth. I don't see why he'd be ripping his fins in a larger tank. There's has to be something in the tank that's causing that.

6. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

filter current, activity level, trying to be a torpedo and diving into the substrate.

The tanks are set up with smooth glass and live plants at every level- nothing that can catch or tear

But this thread is not about the betta, it's set up for the shrimp. let's get back on track, shall we? My interest is at this point, best setup for the shrimp. substrate, preferred ph, parameters that encourage breeding, moulting. Once that's set up, I'll move the divider over to block off the filter(I plan to get a smaller one), and let the betta have the rest of the tank

7. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Get the liquid GH/KH test kit.
    It's more accurate compared to the strips.
    The strips give you a ballpark value whereas the liquid gives tighter values.
    As for the tubes, I bought extras on Amazon.ca much cheaper than Al's.

8. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

So IRT the split tank. For the shrimp it's fine, I do not do Betta's so I don't know if it's too small, considering how stores sell Betta's in a tiny cup IMO it should be fine. As I said through I have no knowledge or them.
    In regards to strips, I have compared results from API liquid and test strips. For the most part they are very very close, which is more accurate I just don't know as I have not figured a good way to get a third opinion, LFS use either depends on where you go...
    I will say test for test the strips are more expensive IMO, but a heck of a lot easier and quicker.
    IMO, your divided tank should be fine, and for testing either will work just depends on what you want to do.
    Remember, Shrimp need clean and more important stable water conditions, they are very subjective to stress when the water parameters change, and from my experience it does not take much of a swing to kill them off.

Best of luck.

9. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Thanks, that is helpful to know

My experience with shrimp is with ghosts, which as shrimp go are basically foolproof. They have lived in the Betta tank, a goldfish tank, and are now in the sorority and are almost as big as the fish lol

10. t

If you have successfully raised ghost shrimp to be that large you're doing great. I can't get them to live past 4 months. Might be my supplier. Whisker Shrimp I am coming up an a year with these guys but no ghosts. Anyway good luck

11. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Hmm, I m getting a lot of green algae on the tank walls. Wondering about leaving the light and lid off and water level lower, as opposed to the LED running all day. The java moss probably doesn't need more than a few hours of light daily, so the rest is for viewing

12. t

I would leave the lid on but cut back the light my lights are only on 6 hours a day. Also make sure the tank is not getting direct sunlight

13. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I'll do that then
    The trick will be getting my son to leave the light off lol. Perhaps if I don't turn it on until noon...

14. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

Your son wants fluval stratum. I'm guessing he wants a planted shrimp tank. His side of the 5g seems to be leaning toward greenery.
    Stratum is not good for the shrimp in the photos. You've got neocaridina right now. Fluval Stratum and all the other organic substrates reduce ph, and initially release a lot of ammonia. Caridina shrimp like the lower ph, but with neos, you'd be just making a disaster. You need to steer clear of that.

Stick with sand, either the kind you've already got or get some Black Diamond Blasting sand, medium grit from Tractor Supply.

15. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Ok, I will let him stay with sand then. He likes it, and we can use plants that feed from the water column. I have driftwood in the big tank that he can take, that should buffer ph....once he gets a bigger tank. And I suggested he use two sponge filters to cycle-this one and a new one. And an aqueon heater

I have plenty of media in my 50g filters paired on the big tank to cycle a new unit for the 5g here.

I got him some cabomba yesterday, and will use cuttings to plant the big tank as it outgrows its space 815c56d58a2ac0375cad4b8d21bdb7cb.jpg

Today's water change day, and I kept a cutting of sponge from trimming a 50g media sponge to my 30g filter so that we can scrub the glass

16. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

Sand doesn't mean you can only have column feeders. Root tabs in sand works fine.

17. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I'm horrible for remembering to add those lol

18. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there and thanks for sharing about the tanks!

(You may know this already, but a brand new 10 gallon is only $10 at Petco now. They are having the $1 per gallon sale. FYI for your son!)

19. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Thanks for the heads up, but the nearest Petco is hours away, and hubby's on shift work so we're limited to local lfs

It's not all bad though, we have four to pick from

20. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

We're losing a shrimp every few days

The tank is 0/0/10 ph of 7.5, temperature 78
    I added some cabomba last week, which they have been grazing on

I want to get a sample out to the lfs to find out what might be bothering them

They are moulting, eating avidly and active....but I don't know much about cherry shrimp ‍♀️

I'm supplementing the grazing with North fin community pellets and tropical flakes, as my son did not think to buy food for them