My son wants a reptile which one

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
My son really wants a bearded dragon. My wife has always said no lizards or snakes. He started watching the vet shows on Disney plus and my mother in law is a nurse. She watched him the other day he he basically took her around to all our animals and said this is their care and this is what they do for check ups and this could go wrong.
My wife said the other day she’s considering letting him get a lizard. Wow big leap forward. His birthday is in March so that would be the plan.
I’ve had reptiles in the past so not a newbie. I had a iguana, basilisk, bearded dragon, always turtles, we have a red rated slider and a russian tort right now. Also did poison dart frogs. Always been successful.
Now the question is he wants a bearded dragon but the tortoise set up is 4’x8’ and takes up a lot of real estate. We have 5 bunnies and two 75 gallons aquariums. I’d really like something smaller like crested geckos. I know he will want to let it and possibly hold it. He will be 13 and is great with animals. All on his own he filled the turtle food and took apart the canister return tubing because it wasn’t running as strong as normal. What do you all think about handling creaked geckos moderately. I hear conflicting stories. I know about the tail loss. Also would an 18x18x18 terrarium hold 2 created geckos. I have a 16 year old who will want one too I’m sure.
Also it’s a long shot and I’m 99% sure it will be a no but is there a reptile that could live with the Russian tortoise happily, healthy, and most of all safely for both lizard and tort. Again I know it’s likely a no but just thought I’d ask Incase some one had good luck and experience with it.
Also do you see a problem with me putting the new reptile cage resting on top of the tort tank for space saving.
Thanks I’m more of a fish guy.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I own a crested gecko and she/he is great! It is true that depending on the gecko they may lose their tail when handled to quick or startled but it won’t effect the gecko in any way except for looks, my Cresty is about 2-3 and still has her tail! Just a tip tho, feed calcium dusted crickets weekly along with normal food to ensure good health for your gecko. Not sure about the 18x18x18 but I would start with one for two reasons 1. It will help you understand their behavior better and you won’t make a big leap from 0 to 2, 2. Males cannot live together so you will want to get one first and after it’s about a year or a bit less you will be able to tell (Just search it up, it’s not hard), and then if it’s female you can just get another or if it’s male then get a female but WARNING they may breed if you get a male and female so for the easiest route buy two identified females

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
I own a crested gecko and she/he is great! It is true that depending on the gecko they may lose their tail when handled to quick or startled but it won’t effect the gecko in any way except for looks, my Cresty is about 2-3 and still has her tail! Just a tip tho, feed calcium dusted crickets weekly along with normal food to ensure good health for your gecko. Not sure about the 18x18x18 but I would start with one for two reasons 1. It will help you understand their behavior better and you won’t make a big leap from 0 to 2, 2. Males cannot live together so you will want to get one first and after it’s about a year or a bit less you will be able to tell (Just search it up, it’s not hard), and then if it’s female you can just get another or if it’s male then get a female but WARNING they may breed if you get a male and female so for the easiest route buy two identified females
Thanks for the reply. Yes I forgot to mention I know about the male male concerns in the same tank.
There is a reptile show near me and they sell adults or sub adults that could be sexed.

NLindsey921

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a baby crested and I handle mine almost everyday. No tail loss yet. I just move really slowly and I let him go back in the tank when hes ready.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NLindsey921 said:
I have a baby crested and I handle mine almost everyday. No tail loss yet. I just move really slowly and I let him go back in the tank when hes ready.
That’s what I did at first, once you’ve had the gecko for 2+ months it becomes much easier and you can move way quicker. Heres a crazy example of how they usually don’t lose their tails, I was letting my friend (who freaked out once she held my gecko) play with my gecko and accidentally spooked her and almost flung her across the room, luckily she jumped before she would’ve fallen but I think that’s good proof of how tough these little guys are! Also, don’t worry, unless you have a VERY VERY jumpy friend then that will never happen to you.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
That’s what I did at first, once you’ve had the gecko for 2+ months it becomes much easier and you can move way quicker. Heres a crazy example of how they usually don’t lose their tails, I was letting my friend (who freaked out once she held my gecko) play with my gecko and accidentally spooked her and almost flung her across the room, luckily she jumped before she would’ve fallen but I think that’s good proof of how tough these little guys are! Also, don’t worry, unless you have a VERY VERY jumpy friend then that will never happen to you.
Great news guys. Thanks so much. The handling here and there was my only concern.
My son is great with animals. He really does a fantastic job. We catch and release all sorts of local animals. He loves baby toads and I have a large garden pond specially for toad breeding. He will catch them and move them out of the way so I can cut the lawn. He’s gentle I just know from time to time he will want to hold the gecko.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
saltwater60 said:
Great news guys. Thanks so much. The handling here and there was my only concern.
My son is great with animals. He really does a fantastic job. We catch and release all sorts of local animals. He loves baby toads and I have a large garden pond specially for toad breeding. He will catch them and move them out of the way so I can cut the lawn. He’s gentle I just know from time to time he will want to hold the gecko.
Morph market is a good place to fiNd geckos, they can be pricey on morph market tho

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Morph market is a good place to fiNd geckos, they can be pricey on morph market tho
There’s a reptile show by me in Buffalo and they have $150-$200 color morphs for like $60 some times. I used to get poison dart frogs for $11-$17. I think the most expensive dart frog was $24.00 this guy had. Some great deals to be had there.
What should I look for health wise.
I know the normal bright good looking eyes, clear breath sounds, not cuts/abrasions, and alert. Anything else?
I would like a colored one but a nice pet is #1.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
saltwater60 said:
There’s a reptile show by me in Buffalo and they have $150-$200 color morphs for like $60 some times. I used to get poison dart frogs for $11-$17. I think the most expensive dart frog was $24.00 this guy had. Some great deals to be had there.
What should I look for health wise.
I know the normal bright good looking eyes, clear breath sounds, not cuts/abrasions, and alert. Anything else?
I would like a colored one but a nice pet is #1.
Nothing else that I know of, granted I did (before I learned all This) buy mine from Petco so can't say that I was careful but still I can’t really think of anything else to watch for.
Oh yeah, if you can, then ask to handle it so that you can see how skittish/what it’s personality is.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Nothing else that I know of, granted I did (before I learned all This) buy mine from Petco so can't say that I was careful but still I can’t really think of anything else to watch for.
Oh yeah, if you can, then ask to handle it so that you can see how skittish/what it’s personality is.
That’s the plan. Thanks. Not all petco’s are bad. The girl that works the reptile section at ours is great. I’d have never went in there except we do rabbit rescue events at the one by us and we went in just for the heck of it. She was awesome and that’s where my wife touched her first lizard.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think having kids interact with animals is awesome. I grew up with pets and that was the best thing my parents could have done for me (IMO). I have a crestie and while they are really fun pets, I don't recommend them for kids/people who want to moderately interact with them. They are nocturnal so not super interesting to watch during the day (also makes them grumpy when you handle them too much during the day). They are incredibly easy to care for, so that is a plus. However, they are fragile and can be jumpy. My guy hates to be held, will bite even. I have a friend who has 3 and 2/3 of hers are okay being handled. I do not recommend keeping them together unless you have a 20g+ enclosure and are sure they are females. Males will fight and we all know what males and females will do lol.
I think a bearded dragon will be an excellent choice for your sons. I have heard people say they are the 'dogs' of the reptile world. They are awake during the day, are pretty easy to handle, not jumpy, and have really nice personalities. However, they do need fresh vegetables daily and crickets dusted in calcium. Humidity between 30-40%, which is not hard to maintain. A dish to soak in, and a UV and heat light (but you can get timers for these). A minimum of 40 gallon enclosed (a 40 gallon breeder is great). And if you get the carpet material to line the bottom, they are very easy to clean up after. So they are a bit more maintenance than a crested gecko, but I think your kids would get more enjoyment out of one.
These are just my thoughts :)! At the end of the day go with what you are feeling/want. You seem like a responsible pet owner.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another note...try to find a reputable breeder or an animal that is older if you do go to a chain pet store. I say older because they will be stronger and if there was something genetic going on, it likely would have been caught by then. I worked in a chain pet store and a lot of our animals were sick (and you couldn't tell just by looking at them). Metabolic bone disease is one thing that can be genetic and is vey sad. Just bad breeders these chain stores get them from.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sien said:
Another note...try to find a reputable breeder or an animal that is older if you do go to a chain pet store. I say older because they will be stronger and if there was something genetic going on, it likely would have been caught by then. I worked in a chain pet store and a lot of our animals were sick (and you couldn't tell just by looking at them). Metabolic bone disease is one thing that can be genetic and is vey sad. Just bad breeders these chain stores get them from.
Yep agreed, currently I’m battling with my cresties calcium deficiency/in danger of MBD due to bad genetics...Usually doesn’t happen but that just goes to show what happens when you buy at chain stores.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Seems like sound advice sein. Thanks.
Anyone know anything about uromastux. I’ve always liked them. Not sure what I’ll do.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
saltwater60 said:
Seems like sound advice sein. Thanks.
Anyone know anything about uromastux. I’ve always liked them. Not sure what I’ll do.
Hmm is that the spiny tailed lizard or something like that? I believe they are similar to the bearded dragon, but don't quote me on that. I have heard they are docile but shy. So may not be the best pet for kids who want to interact. Now saltwater60 ...are the kids an excuse so the wife will let you get a reptile ;) ? Just messing with you!

tnrsmomma

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think bearded dragons are a great option for a reptile that he would be able to really interact with! Crested geckos sound fun, but like everyone has said, they just aren't to excited about getting friendly with humans. I used to know someone who had beardies for years. Always one at a time and he treated them as a childless person treats their tiny dogs. It would ride on his shoulder or a special pouch everywhere he went, lay against his neck while he watched tv, the works. Each one really was like a little dog, with it's own unique personality.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven’t seen them mentioned, so I’m going to suggest Leopard Geckos. They’re super easy and social buggers. I’ve got 11.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Katie13 said:
I haven’t seen them mentioned, so I’m going to suggest Leopard Geckos. They’re super easy and social buggers. I’ve got 11.
Thanks I know they are cool but I don’t want to have to get crickets for the rest of my life.
There isn’t anywhere too close to me to get crickets that I’m at regularly.
I was looking for something that can do some veggies here and there or powered foods.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Sien said:
Hmm is that the spiny tailed lizard or something like that? I believe they are similar to the bearded dragon, but don't quote me on that. I have heard they are docile but shy. So may not be the best pet for kids who want to interact. Now saltwater60 ...are the kids an excuse so the wife will let you get a reptile ;) ? Just messing with you!
Yes. They are rather expensive and there are so many different species. If I can’t find someone who has one and can give me details I’ll stay away from them. They seem cool and pretty chill but each one seems a bit different care wise and of course could be personality wise different. They are strictly vegetarians and that’s a draw for me. They eat the same as my tortoise so it’s easy to just prep a bit more food.
Of course getting him a lizard would open the door for me in the future. I’m more of a fish guy though. What I would like to do eventually is get a palludatarium and do fish and some tree frogs in the same tank. Some day.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
saltwater60 said:
Yes. They are rather expensive and there are so many different species. If I can’t find someone who has one and can give me details I’ll stay away from them. They seem cool and pretty chill but each one seems a bit different care wise and of course could be personality wise different. They are strictly vegetarians and that’s a draw for me. They eat the same as my tortoise so it’s easy to just prep a bit more food.
Of course getting him a lizard would open the door for me in the future. I’m more of a fish guy though. What I would like to do eventually is get a palludatarium and do fish and some tree frogs in the same tank. Some day.
That would be awesome, like a minI ecosystem. If you like builds like that check out AntsCanada on YouTube. He makes interesting builds like that combing ants, fish, frogs, etc. The vegetarian aspect makes sense, it will be hard to find another reptile that is strictly vegetarian. Hard enough to find reptiles that are docile and awake during the day lol. Crickets can actually be pretty easy to keep and breed tho, they are very inexpensive (but of course it adds up over time). Perhaps keeping and breeding crickets can be turned into something fun/interesting for you and your kids. Just another thought.

New Threads