My son totally called someone out on their fish tank...

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So my wife took my 8 year old son to a friend's house. Upon entering, he saw a fish tank (maybe 50 gallons or so). My wife said there were a number of large fish that were having a hard time turning around (she couldn't say what kind). The first thing my son said to this family was, "I think you need a bigger fish tank for those fish." They said something like, "Oh, I think they are...", and he cut them off and said "No, I really think they need a bigger tank." Apparently, he wouldn't drop it and it was all very awkward!

Guess I'm doing something right!

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Ha ha that's funny. Though I'm sure your wife and son will no longer be invited for future get together's.

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Good for him! It's hard to get people to understand there is a right and wrong way to keep fish. The majority think you fill up a tank, maybe get a heater, more than likely a filter that is too small, and throw some fish in.

Then comes the, "they will grow to the size of the tank" attitude. And how many people really understand that most fish should live for at least 5 years? Many more than 10.

I was just thinking about how many people think that the fish sold in pet stores will actually die of old age. I bet it is a very small percentage myself.

Regardless. It's good your 8 year old know his stuff. Future fish keeper for sure :)

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Good on him. So when are you going to get him his first fish tank.

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Funny you should say that Smee! We play this "game" fairly regularly where he has the sudden urge to get a pet. I tell him to write up everything he thinks he needs, then I go over the list with him, add/change some things, and tell him the overall cost. It always ends up somewhere over $200, even for hamsters. Lately, he's been wanting to save for a bearded dragon.

I've been telling him I might help fund his venture if he goes with fish... it will help with my MTS. :)

6. kevymd Well Known Member Member

I've been calling out the local supermarkets. About to go back and check on the situation in the mejers down the street. People have been pretty good about listening and fixing things. Encourage that! I call out all my friends! I nearly chewed the backside of a carnie the other day, they had fish AND iguanas. I was so mad.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So I went to pick him up and checked out the tank. It was an oscar fish in a 30 gallon tank that was half full of saltwater decorations, mostly reef. The oscar would move forward, then back peddle. Such a sad display...

8. kevymd Well Known Member Member

went to meijers. It was in a bad way out there so I askd someone to find me the manager. Lo and behold here comes the same woman I spoke to last time, smile on her face, "Hi, how can I help you?" I gave a really fake smile and said, "hello, its me again." and as she recognized me her smile fell and I could just here her thinking oh, god. its you again. As it turns out the person who normally works the fish tanks this morning called in. I'm sorry, as a manager of anyplace with living beings, your staff calls in, you start working. The amount of dead fish was appalling. I verbally prompted, but she wasn't about to roll up her selves and get started. shame shame shame.