My son is in love with LPS inverts & has questions I can't answer

waterlilykari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My son (and maybe myself as well, but I'm pleading innocence in this) have fallen become enamored with some of the inverts we've been seeing in one of the LPS recently, but I am completely out of my area of expertise on them so I have no answers to any of the questions he has had since we first spotted them. While I know the Crays would be a bad idea to mix in either of our tanks (they would become food in one tank and make a meal of our betta and our ghost shrimp residing in the other) but I was wondering if there was something (IE shrimp types you recommend) that could safely reside in the shrimp/betta tank? Maybe something besides RCS that we could have a few different colors for a little variety or is that not recommended? I usually am a fan of either species only or at least only doing one at a time when introducing a new fish/invert so obviously it would be done gradually in case the betta decided he didn't like the new guys.

In addition to this, my son asked specifically if, once we upgrade the betta tank, he asked if we could put a few of each of the shrimp into the 10 gallon and make it a mixed tank of just inverts or if not, if we could put one of each of the colors of crayfish available (blue, orange, white and they guy mentioned something about getting in something he referred to as "strawberry" ones soon, but I am skeptical as to what they actually are or if they are just dying the white ones. I have zero idea on what species they are actually selling since they were because they were each in their own tank all lined up on a shelf marked "crayfish/dwarf crayfish" but other than that, there were no other labels.

Obviously, I would not mix kinds that I didn't know for sure were compatible. I will be doing quite a bit more research before jumping in on this but before I get lost down the rabbit hole, so to speak, but I wanted to get your recommendation of which is more entertaining/a better direction to go in for inverts if we are going to make the leap into more. For the record, I do know I would probably need to size up from the 10 gallon tank if it was going to the crays depending on how big their adult size will be, esp. if they are able to be housed together but at this point, it's just to get ideas and ask the questions my son has asked me that I don't have answers for yet)

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is a link to my article on getting started with freshwater shrimp....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/freshwater-shrimp-keeping.23/

It should answer a lot of your basic questions. Since you are just beginning with shrimp I would start with RCS or ghost shrimp. Other shrimp can be more expensive and trickier to keep. There are many color varieties of RCS but you have to keep them separate or they will produce brown/gray and colorless babies. Best to start with the nice red version and see how things go, figure it all out. Then down the road you could try out something more expensive or difficult.

As for crayfish, I am not as familiar with them. But a good start I have heard would be dwarf CPO's they are normally orange in color and pretty similar in care to RCS.

OP
W

waterlilykari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do have a ghost shrimp in with our betta so not a 100% newbie to it but not far off from it either, haha. We put the single one in to see if the betta would be ok with having "roommates" which he was, then when we decided adequate time had passed and it was safe to slowly increase the numbers, the other ghosts we bought (from the same tank in the same store as our first) were determined to eat the betta alive!

When we started noticing ragged fins and assumed it was Jay trying to squeeze into hides too small for him (placed there for the safety of the shrimp and so are too small for him to enter for a reason) but after watching one day, noticed all but the original would wait until he slept, run around behind him and take a little shred off his tail to munch on! Back to the store went the others, and only the original one now remains, but since I'd heard RCS and others can be more calm and peaceful, I am curious about trying something different in with him.

As for crayfish, of course they would get their own home, and would not be in with him. I doubt even the CPOs (tiny as they are) are truly 100% safe bet with fish. This is more to get recommendations of what are good starting points people recommend and once they point a few good ones out, I can start looking into possibilities and researching their suggestions.

OP
W

waterlilykari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having gone back to the same store, it turns out they have Procambarus AllenI and similarly sized of a variety of colors (and I suspect species) all lumped together as "Dwarf Crayfish" - Call me paranoid but I am not exactly that eager to take something on that I don't know what the end result of size is and what are the specifics of its requirements beyond the most general things like "gentle current" that all (or almost all of them I've been looking into recently seemed to have in common.

New Threads