My Snail Is A Monster...

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Fish Newbie, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Fish NewbieNew MemberMember

Ok my snail Brownie has grown so much in such a short period of time. Should I be worried or just go with the flow, he/she is a black mystery snail. We also have a gold mystery (Buttercup) that has barely grown and a pink mystery (Diamond)that is new ( 2 weeks now) that is just as active as Brownie, but tiny in comparison. Brownie has about an inch and a half new growth in about a months period.

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

With lots of good food and water conditions Mystery Snails can grow very fast. I wouldn't worry about it - probably just a very hungry snail :p

3. sheehanje

sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I got sold what I was toldwas a mystery snail and now I'm pretty positive it's an apple snail. I've had it about 6 weeks and it's gone from about the size of a nickle to almost the size of a golf ball. Does a great job as part of my tank clean up crew - so no complaints here!

4. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

That could also be the situation here as apple snails do get a lot bigger!

5. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

Are all your tanks heated? Are there any snails that would do well in a room temp (cold-ish) tank? I'd like to get a snail or two, but haven't had good luck in the past. :emoji_snail:

6. OP
    OP
    F

Fish NewbieNew MemberMember

Yeup all tanks heated and Brownie rules the 20 long tank! I actually worry when I do not see him\her cruising the tank!

7. OP
    OP
    F

I give them all zucchini, tried broccoli, they stuck their nose's in the air at that, and Brownie just chomps it all down to his/her hearts content, I really need to find out if Brownie is a boy or girl one day.

And for cooler tanks I am not sure, mine are all warm water

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  8. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

I'm fairly sure (but may be wrong) that mystery snails do well in anything in the 70-80 range.They're less active in cold waters, but they live longer; warmer waters means more activity, but it shaves a couple years off their lifespan.

Also, as a random note, mystery snails are a type of apple snails. Anything in the Pomacea family is an apple snail, and mystery snails are Pomacea bridgesii or Pomacea diffusa.

9. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Are snails boys or girls?

I feel like they can be either depending on circumstance, but I could be wrong...

10. OP
    OP
    F

I know mystery snails are either male or female, same with nerites I believe but some are hermaphrodites.

11. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

Mystery snails are not hermaphrodic, meaning that they have distinct males and females. You can figure out which snail is male and which is female by looking to see if there's a penis sheath. (More info on that here Sexing snails )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice