My snail had babies??

1. Bertney

Bertney New Member Member

I bought a freshwater snail when I went to the pet. I saw today two little baby snails in the tank, and I was wondering how to properly care for them, and will this snail keep having babies?
    There's a picture of the snail I bought, and a picture of the snail and one of the babies. (The baby is the little spec on the wall)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If this baby snail belongs to this adult snail there should be an egg cluster somewhere. Egg clusters are usually above the water line stuck to the glass. If you don't want babies just remove the egg cluster and dispose of it.

Carol

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

That would be the case for a mystery snail, but that doesn't look like a mystery snail to me. It looks more like a Malaysian trumpet snail but it's not quite right for that either. ..

Baby snail care seems to be the same regardless of species though. Feed fresh veggies like zuchini, squash, spinach and green beans. Make sure you sink them with something or the veggies will float (except for the beans, they sink). Algae wafers will also work but fresh vegetables are better ime. Good luck with your babies!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

It's a pretty snail, whatever kind it is. Alison

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a bladder snail/trumpet snail combo. Very pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like a small mystery snail to me :) MTS Malaysian Trumpet Snails are more slender and elongated. Check here for ID and baby snail care.  
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    Bertney

There's no egg cluster. I see 3 tiny snails for sure. I have a pleco that I'm a bit worried about you eating them. I also have a Molly and two gouramis. Will they eat them? Do I need to separate them somehow?

8. OP
    OP
    Bertney

Oh my gosh make that four babies o:

9. OP
    OP
    Bertney

Here's another picture, because I still don't know what kind he is.

Attached Files:

10. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Which is why I said it's not right for mts either. But it's too elongated for a mystery snail, their spiral isn't nearly that long.... I have no idea what kind of snail that is, lol. Maybe it's just a mutant mystery, haha.
    Bertney was it labeled as anything other than fw snail when you got it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It's a japanese trapdoor snail... I think they get really big. Mine pooped all the time.....

12. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Big ong looks hood but i cant spot your baby. If you have live 0lants in your tank it might be a pond snail that hitchhiked

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If it isn't a japanese trapdoor snail, which I think is most likely, it may be the giant pond snail (Lymaea stagnalis).

14. OP
    OP
    Bertney

I don't have plants, and I bought the snail myself, I just hadn't realized it was going to have babies :p