My sister's gravel woes! Help 

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all, me again asking for yet more advice! Thankfully this time it's not for me! lol.

My sister set up her tropical freshwater tank a little while ago, and did (shock horror) a fish-in cycle with platties. She has a 30 Gallon Freshwater tank, with gravel & plants, but I am quite surprised that it ever cycled at all! I had a look in her tank yesterday, and when the fish swim near the bottom, they throw up allsorts of stuff from the gravel, dust and debris etc. The water was a little on the cloudy side too, and so I wondered what had happened. I asked her, and she said she thought it was normal!!

Anyhoo, when I asked her about how she had set up and everything, she went through it all, and her fatal mistake was that she didn't wash her gravel before she put it in and filled the tank up. She said she thought the filter would clean it for her. (It's a HOB filter).

I said it wouldn't have been a problem if she hadn't already put fish in as she could have taken it all out, washed it, and then started again, but is there anything anyone would suggest now there are fish in there and the ammonia / nitrites are being processed by the filter?

Sorry to ramble, she just makes me mad sometimes!!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She should be able to get it pretty clean by using a gravel vac.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just some routine gravel vacuuming and pwc's should clear it up. Swish the mechanical filter around in old tank water if its getting clogged up.

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep, just what I thought. I might even be nice to her and go get her a gravel vac today. I have 2, but then I have 2 tanks and don't like to use things in both! lol (OCD much?)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads