My sisters goldfish tank cycled accidentally O:

Broggy

Reaction score
about a year ago, my sisters got a 10 gallon tank and put 5 goldfish in it. Of course, they didnt know about cycling a tank. So They always did 100 percent water changes. And lately I've been changing their water ( about 30 percent ) Just so they could have some nice water before i switched it with an already established tank. I never checked water perameters, because I did so frequent water changes, I ussumed there would be nothing to see. But In todays water change, I decided to check on Nitrates Because I got suspicious. Sure enough, there was 5 ppm Nitrates. I Guess I did a fish in cycle lol. I am suprised Because I've never actually cycled an aquarium before, and now i've done it by mistake.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Besides the smaller tank size, congratulations! If there is an ammonia source and you don't mess with the filter, the tank will eventually cycle ;). After all, when we do fishless cycles all we really do to help is add a food source(IMO).

OP
Broggy

Broggy

Reaction score
Cheesecake said:
Curious: are they still in the 10? Or have you moved them?
Wondering because not even 1 goldfish could survive in such a small tank.
Your right. its way overstocked, the water quality is terrible with lots of alge. I dont have another tank right now.

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Broggy said:
Your right. its way overstocked, the water quality is terrible with lots of alge. I dont have another tank right now.
Well if the goldfish are small it should be fine for now. Its okay that you don't have a tank currently.

OP
Broggy

Broggy

Reaction score
Cheesecake said:
Well if the goldfish are small it should be fine for now. Its okay that you don't have a tank currently.
Alright. I dont kow what kind of fish they are exactly, but it looks like they are still growing :meh:

New Threads