My Silvers Have Spots? Help Please

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Trele6, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

I have two silver dollar fish and they are both covered in these spots? None of the other fish in my tank have this.

Help please?

I have a 75 gallon tank canister filter

2. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Did you just recently get new fish and add to aquarium? Looks like ICH, if so, easily treated but need to act fast. I would recommend Seachem - ParaGuard

3. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

These are all new fish actually. I recently had something that killed everything in my tank so this is a restock basically.

Fish store told me to use Melafix and Pimafix to treat what killed my fish last time. I assume this doesn't counter ICH?

It is 9pm my time so all fish stores are closed. Will my fish make it to the morning you think?

4. Discusluv

Do not use either of those products for anything in your aquarium. Sorry to have a differing opinion as the fish store. but both of these products are worthless. What other fish do you have in the tank with the Silver Dollars? The reason why I ask is that you can raise the heat up to 86 degrees and this will kill the parasites on fish, but not take care of any eggs that are in "production". But, need to make sure they are not fish that are too sensitive to heat. Tomorrow, when get med do a 50% water change before adding med to decrease parasitic load in water and add medication. Clean water also facilitates better absorption of meds by fish and helps them to heal quicker. If you can, change at least 20% of water every few days - it will help almost more than the medicine will.

5. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

I have about 7 guppies, one molly, 2 silvers, a sucker fish and about 7 Mickey Mouse platys.

Never had to raise temp before, how would I go about doing that if it is safe for my types of fish?

6. Discusluv

I'm not sure about the guppies and mollies, if they can handle that temp. Just wait it out till morning.

7. Discusluv

How are your fish doing?

8. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

Just got home today and both my silver dollars were dead.

My fish place only had something called ICH attack so that is what I have been using the last two days.

9. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Do they have Jungle Lifeguard? It's the meanest ich killer I've found. Sorry about your silver dollars:(

10. Discusluv

I'm so sorry! I haven't heard of that medication. Hopefully it will keep your other fish from getting it. I would continue to treat.

11. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

We also took all of our silk plants out last night too.. they were getting stained brown, so we gave them a good cleaning and left out to dry. Hopefully when I get home in the next couple of hours all my remaining fish are still alive. I do see ICH on my platys now too.

My bottle of ICH attack does say if you have a bad infection of it that you can double the dose.. do you think I should?

12. Discusluv

To be honest, after looking this medication up, it is not the best treatment. It is a herbal medication and many reviews that I saw on Amazon discussed how it was ineffective. Do you feel that it has helped at all? Can you order another treatment from Amazon?

13. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

I just ordered the ParaGuard from amazon and it will be at my house Thursday. Hopefully this other medicine will keep my guys alive until then.

14. Discusluv

Great Trele6!! If you can perform at least a 50% water change daily along with suggested daily dose of the med you have, it will reduce the parasite load in water column Keep me posted. :)

15. OP
    OP
    Trele6

Trele6New MemberMember

Just got home. Two of my platys are dead now also.

16. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I'm sorry I can't see the photos. There is a species of silver dollar that naturally have spots.

17. Discusluv

Is there any where locally that you can go get some better medication?? The other thing you can do is to turn up the heat on your heater to 82 degrees. I don't do this myself for ICH, but many do. You would need to turn it up incrementally, 2 degrees per hour. I don't think that your fish will survive until Thursday, the parasite works quickly.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  18. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

82 is not hot enough for ich. At 85 degrees ich cannot reproduce at 86 it starts to die off.

19. Discusluv

Thank you for clarifying that- not usually the method I use.

20. Discusluv

Will the fish he has be ok with that high heat?