My Silver Dollars Are Eating Plastic Plants?

StickyFishy

It might not be my silver dollars, but I notice the fake plastic plants are deteriorating and it looks like there are bite marks on the leaves. One of my silver dollars might have really bad vision because I never see him go for food unless its basically in his eyeball. I have recently started feeding the two of them peas. My other silver dollar eats algae wafers just fine and searches for food. Will feeding them more/ making sure the blind one eats prevent them from nibbling plants? I have tried hornwort-they eat it. I have now added an Anubis plant-they've been biting and nibbling at it. Granted these fish are 10 years old and at least 4 inches long (like little piranhas). Also, I feed the hard of seeing one with plant tongs that are bright red so he can detect where to bite. (I will update with photos tomorrow).

carsonsgjs

Based on your stock it would be most likely the silver dollars, assuming the marks on the plants are bite marks and not the plants breaking down for another reason. You could try mixing in some more veg matter into their diet to see if it discourages them from attacking the plants though. Thinking a good quality vegetable flake (fluval bug bites spirulina is a good one).

They do have a reputation for eating plants but havent heard of them going for artificial!

Upvote 0

GlennO

Feeding them peas is a good move. You could try other vegetables as well, like spinach and small pieces of zucchini. You could also buy or cultivate duckweed for them, I'm sure they'd love it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Riyaghosh87
Replies
Views
Kay438
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question