My Sick Tank: Tracking Disease

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RedLoredAmazon, Feb 15, 2018.

1. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I was wondering if there is anything else out there that can treat camallanus worms other than levamisole? @bizaliz3 helped me with the treatment that she used in her tanks. However, I was doing research on it and saw that it's really really bad for pregnant ladies since it is a nicotinic. Is there something else? The only other options are let me fish die slowly (they all seem fine at the moment, but I know that will change) or just euthanize everyone. I know I could have someone else administer the meds, but I had 2 pregnancy losses last year and just don't want to take a chance with this medication being in my home.

2. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    4 years
    First, I'm sorry for your losses, I know how hard that is. My second suggestion would be to either get some flake food that is medicated, and wear some gloves when you feed the fish, or ask someone else to feed the fish. I believe I used febrenzonel flakes ( the spelling is def. off with that). They did not work with the platy that i had fed them to, just as a warning.
    If the other medication is contraindicated for pregnant women using, then I'd just euthanize the fish, you can choose to keep them for awhile though, if they aren't really bad right now. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thank you for your kind words! The really weird thing is I've had these fish all in the tank since August and just now am seeing the worms. I'll look into the medicated flake food and see if that's safe.

4. AWheeler

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    4 years
    I had my platy for months before I saw the worm. I thought that she was going to drop fry for about a month before I actually saw a worm sticking out. So it doesn't really surprise me when you say that you've had your fish for months too, and they are just now showing signs!

5. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Mix pancur in food and feed them that for 2-3 days, once per day. Garlic and something to bind (like seachrem focus)
    Back in the day all they had was pancur, and it works. Levimasole can actually make fish sterile, and should only be used IMO for fish that have active infection of roundworm/nematode.

Fenbendazole - Wikipedia

6. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No de-wormer is safe. It can be hard on fish and make them sterile. Lots of people are for using praziquentel in some sort of Quarintine tank procedure. Its better to use something only once or twice. Too much worming leads to problems breeding and weak sickly or deformed fry.

7. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I've been looking up about fenbendazole and there isn't any info about humans using it as it is only for animals. But it shouldn't be used in pregnant animals....so I guess not. :( It appears that any of these meds are just too dangerous for pregnancy.

I don't want my fish breeding. The issue is that I am pregnant. I lost two pregnancies last year and this baby is going to be our last. I get really really sick being pregnant.

Part of me is wondering since it took so long till this showed up if I can wait till after I have the baby to do treatments. Having the baby near the end of June. Maybe I'll just wait and see. I will euthanize if needed, but maybe the fish can hang in there till then since it took months till this showed up.

8. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If your fish have an active infection, and you dont plan on doing alot of breeding, you mine as well try to de-worm them. They make flakes too, my advice was just to use with caution, as i said it can cause problems with the babies.
    Sorry to hear :(
    You could wear gloves or have your partner use the deworming powder or flakes.

9. Delta33

Delta33Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    You can buy some N95 masks (these are the masks used for TB) for whenever you're in the area the tank is in and have someone else do medicating and water changes, then use carbon to ensure all medications are out of the water column. They sell N95 masks at most hardware stores or you could buy medical grade online. That could be a last ditch effort.

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Experience:
    1 year
    You can lace a mesh 2-3 inches above the substrate. The life cycle of Camallanus worms involves worm eggs in the substrate then growing to worms. Then, the fish eat the worms and the cycle continues. If you put a mesh above the substrate, the worms don’t get eaten.

Also, I heard that feeding garlic can help clear the intestines of parasites. After you do that, feed peas to clear out dead parasite bodies.

11. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thank you! I probably will try the garlic and peas since that is completely safe to handle.

12. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    High levels of salt can kill camallanus, but wont kill livebearers. If thats what you have, guppies and mollies can take up to 1 TBSP per gallon for treatment with no harm.

13. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    No livebearers in my tank. I have black neon tetras, cherry barbs, a honey gourami, shrimp, snails, and one lonely cory.

14. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well it looks like I will have to start euthanizing soon. :( I won't be restocking that tank with any fish for about a year to a year and a half from now. I'm trying to decide if I just leave my snails and amano shrimp be alone or if I go out and add a bunch of cherry shrimp.

15. AWheeler

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'm sorry to hear that! I'm not sure if shrimp can get them or not, might want to check into it before you add more to the tank.

16. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You mine as well use the salt then if you dont have live plants. Just letting it sit for a year would probably be enough for the worms to die, but it might be worth it to just break it all down and stearilize it.

17. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I do have live plants. Picture is kinda old, but this is pretty much how my tank looks like right now.

113.JPG

18. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I don't really want anyone to respond to this, I'm more of documenting what is going on with my tank for my knowledge. I had to euthanize one of my black neon tetras last night since it was swimming strangely. I'm pretty sure it was neon tetra disease since I have lost other BNTs due to neon tetra disease. I didn't look at the body to see if there was any other signs since catching it was exhausting and we had friends coming over for dinner. I'm now down to 6 black neons. I haven't lost any cherry barbs or had to euthanize any of them yet either.

I know I'll have a difficult time when my cory and Mango (honey gourami) go. Those two are my favorites in the tank. I appreciate all the joy all of my tanks inhabitants give to me and my family. I'm just personally struggling with the knowledge that I will have to say good-bye to all of them....and I really don't want to.

Sorry to anyone reading this, but I really needed to type this out. I always get sad and cry with the loss of any pet, but now I'm extra emotional so that doesn't help things.

19. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    Just had to put down another black neon tetra due to erratic swimming. The first symptoms I noticed was the fish was doing a lot of panting. Then a day or two later, I noticed the fish would just swim laps around the tank while everyone else just was chilling. It was a strange way of swimming, kinda like the way a robin flies, with a bounce to the swimming and the head more up than the tail. This morning I didn't see it right away so I started looking for it. Noticed it trying to swim upside down, so I made the decision to euthanize.

I'm going to change the title of this thread since I'm no longer working on tracking camallanus worm treatment. This is more of a disease tracker thread. :(