My sick Danio help !!!!

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have three danios and one of this is puffed up like a balloon and all of its gills on it body are standing up and white stuff on the gills. The stomach also has the white stuff on it looks like it is going to pop. I put 5 drops of quick cure in my tank. What else can i do. other medication i can use or will this work or am i to late. I just noticed it today. Thanks

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sounds like dropsy to me. have you had a look at the disease charts on this board. if its dropsy i think you have to starve them, then give them peas. i'll just go have a look!
EDIT: is the disease chart thats on this board and

Swelling of abdomen, raised scales around swollen area.
Dropsy (Malawi Bloat) – may be caused by internal bacterial infection (if swelling is sudden), parasites, or cancer (if swelling is gradual).
Add 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water and monitor for two weeks. Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment.

is the info about it.

good luck, and sorry i'm not much help. not something i've had to deal with before. hopefully someone with more experience will be more help. good luck and keep us posted.
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with tan.b on it most likely being dropsy. You could try putting him in a q. tank and treating him with Maracyn-2 or Maracyn/Maracyn-2 together and hopefully knock out the internal infection.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hows the danio doing?
tan :-\

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought some Maracyn-2 at my lfs and i went by what the directions said and he or she looks a little less swollen. the directions say two tablets the first day and 2nd through the 5th day one tablet so i think i will do that and see what happens. Should i have changed the water before i put the medication in it has been about a week since i last changed it? or change the water if i have to go another round of Maracyn-2?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jayfl234 said:
I bought some Maracyn-2 at my lfs and i went by what the directions said and he or she looks a little less swollen. the directions say two tablets the first day and 2nd through the 5th day one tablet so i think i will do that and see what happens. Should i have changed the water before i put the medication in it has been about a week since i last changed it? or change the water if i have to go another round of Maracyn-2?
A water change before starting a course of meds would be good. See what other responses you get, but you might consider a course of maracyn & maracyn 2 at the same time next OR trisulfa or you can do another course of just maracyn-2 if that feels like the best thing for your Danio. I'm glad there's been some improvement - that's a good sign and you might have got it in time to pull your Danio thru.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
glad to hear you've found some meds for him and he's looking better. fingers crossed!! btw, if you can put some carbon in after you've finished treating to get rid of the meds, or do lots of big water changes so your fish isnt exposed to meds any longer than necessary!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tan.b said:
glad to hear you've found some meds for him and he's looking better. fingers crossed!! btw, if you can put some carbon in after you've finished treating to get rid of the meds, or do lots of big water changes so your fish isnt exposed to meds any longer than necessary!
yea, good point tan.b - after meds we will put in new carbon and do a couple 50% water changes over the next few days.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom