My Shrimp's are dying !! Help

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by rohitsingh_81, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rohitsingh_81Valued MemberMember

Hi All,

I have a 12Gallon planted tank with peaceful community fishes. I am beginner to Shrimps and need help.

Last sunday (11th March) I brought 4 shrimps and added to my tank for the first time. 2 Yamato Shrimps & 2 Blue Tiger Shrimps. Unfortunately, one of my Yamato shrimp died just the next day morning :'(

After that, one of my Blue Tiger died yesterday (14th).

Apparently, I dont know whether my shrimps are eating or not. I place food for them on a small plastic every morning but have'nt seen them eating (unlike my fish who are always hungry).

One of the possible suspects I see is my water temp. During the day, sometimes my water temp reaches 31C (i cannot afford a Chiller).

Is temp the reason for my shrimps dying ? Also the first time I put my shrimps in tank, they were very active and running in all the tanks, from 2nd day onwards, they are always seen hiding behind plants / decorations. Are shrimps always like that (hiding) ??

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Forget to mention 1 thing:

Just the next morning (after I added shrimps), I found my SAE dead in tank. Looked like her tail was eaten up.

My Blue Tiger shrimps have claws (like the ones on Blue Lobster). I suspect he was the one who ate my SAE. Does Blue tiger shrimps have claws (my Yamato shrimp does not have claws) OR is it in reality is a small lobster ??

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  2. mingNew MemberMember

There are many possibilities that kill your shrimps.
    Maybe your fish brother your shrimps?
    It may also be your water parameters is not suitable for the shrimps. PH 6.5-7.5
    Temperature may also be a reason. 22C -26C

You may want to put expensive shrimps like blue tiger in a shrimp only tank.

3. platy benWell Known MemberMember

I have kept red cherry shrimps for over a year now and I've never had problems with mine. I keep them in the following conditions:

Tank size- 8G
    Temperature- 26C, 78F
    pH- 7.9
    Filter, HOB (unsure of GPH)
    Lighting- 15W
    Substrate- coral sand
    Plants- 1 amazon sword, 1 bunch of java moss on a shrimp cave
    Other decor- 'Moon rocks'

The shrimp will swim around a lot for the first few days but once they stop, its a sign they are settling in.

My shrimp breed very well in the tank I have given information on.

4. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing that the shrimp weren't acclimated properly. Also, since Amano (or Yamato) shrimp are extremely difficult to breed, most are caught and shipped live from the marshes of Japan, and some are just prone to die the first few days.

When I got four Amano shrimp, one died the first day. The rest survived the critical period of the first few weeks and are now doing fine.

I suspect that after the SAE died, the shrimp, being natural scavengers, made a meal out of him. Those claws are harmless against living fish, but almost all shrimp will happily eat a dead fish in that tank.

5. rohitsingh_81Valued MemberMember

Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies.

Hi Ming: My PH usually hovers between 6.5-7.5. Also I was scared of PH swings when I brought my shrimps so from the day onwards, I have temporarily suspended my DIY Co2 in anticipation of keeping the PH constant. I concur with you on the Temp might be the culprit.

Hi Elodea: I bought them from a prominent fish farm (breeder & exporter of Fish & Shrimps - Quan Hu, Singapore) not from LFS so I don't think they were exported. They might have been bred locally. Maybe....I don't know.

I will keep you posted as it progress. Thanks once again for your replies.

6. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your shrimp troubles :(

Does the food you feed them contain any copper (Cu)? Copper is toxic to them, except in trace amounts I've heard. Also, sometimes tap water can have copper in if the pipes are older and made of copper. I think you can get copper test kits that can tell you the copper level in the water. That's the only other thing I can think of. They are also very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite in their tank water, so a fully-cycled tank is a must.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice