My Shrimp Are All Keeling Over And Dying

1. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

I have a tank with many red cherry shrimp and babies, and some crystal red shrimp.

Since adding some grass they are all keeling over and dying. The grass came from another tank with no shrimp.

All water parameters are fine (0,0,20~).

They just keep dying en masse.

What is causing it and how can I make it stop?

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Those nitrates are a bit too high for shrimp. Shrimp are much more sensitive to water parameters than fish are, so I always try to keep nitrates as low as possible. I would do some more water changes, and add more live plants as well.

How long has the shrimp tank been running?

3. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Pull that grass out and see if they continue to die. Maybe a water change as well, 10 to 25%.

4. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

Shrimp tank has run maybe a couple of months now. I think I might pull the grass then.

Basically it seems some are fine on the left side of the tank (no grass) then they pop over and start dying.

The grass did come from a tank which had some fertiliser tabs put into the soil (far away from the grass but maybe the grass picked up some metal or something the shrimp are allergic to.

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I'd just pull the grass and do a water change then, sorry about your shrimp. I'm preparing to set up for some blue velvets soon and I really want things to go well.

6. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

If you suspect the grass is the problem since every else was unchanged then you needed to act quickly then waiting for a forum reply post to confirm it. Maybe you had treated your other tank with some medication containing copper hence this was brought over with the grass into your shrimp tank.

Hey Fann? How was the Blue Beard algae eradication exercise you conducted?