my SHARK....whats wrong with him?? :'/ Important

1. MRtropical Initiate Member

Hello all

I recently bought 3 new fish to add to my 155galon tank, I home a Goldfish(used to test a Breaking In period but still alive and don't want to get rid of it), a Palecoctemous, one baby Oscar, one baby Knife Fish and finally my baby Catfish shark.

I've owned many tropical fish for over 4 years and upgraded my tank 2 years ago. All the other fish in my tank have no problems with each other and I often see them swimming about and no fighting or nipping occurs whatsoever. Unfortunatley, the Pangasius (irridscent shark) seems to be least bit socialable in community and hardly ever swims around with the other fishes. I've had similar combinations of these fishes in my tank before with no problems but I've never homed a Catfish shark that never swims around, he just lies near plants and only seems active at odd time or at night.

What am I doing wrong or is the fish the problem? :;sharky

MRtropical

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    Heres a great link to read for all tanks of fishkeeping https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

in the meantime , do you test your water for ammonia or nitrites? do you have a test kit?
    if not, api makes a great liquid master test kit that will give you 100s of test for all you need..without knowing your waters readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, its hard to tell exactly whats going on ....

3. MRtropical Initiate Member

Thanks for the speedy answer man wow i'm impressed by this forum already!:;hi2 So it might have to do with the nitrogen cycle....hmmm....

I'm gonna upload my fish tank i've had for a while now, tell me what you think because its going to get a revamp soon so any suggestion would be great (sorry the camera quality couldnt get any better i'll buy a new cam soon) :;voices

Attached Files:

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

tank looks great!! is it your only tank?
    but helping your poor shark is a must :) if you can find out the readings, we can help allot more

5. MRtropical Initiate Member

Thanks! Yes unfortuntely its my only tank. I'm going to the fish store where I but all my fish, accessories and equipment...i'm getting Weekend Feeders (i'm going away soon) and pH Testers...is there anything else recommended I buy as to seeing how to see how my tank is doing in terms of nitrate levels and such? My budget is 500 bucks so please don't histate to tell me what kits or things to buy to ensure my fishies live LONG and prosperously and happily for many years to come? :)

6. mathas Well Known Member Member

Iridescent sharks usually do best in groups. From PlanetCatfish:

Note also on that page how big they get. Sadly, I don't think your tank will support the one you have long-term, let alone a group of them :(

7. MRtropical Initiate Member

Yeah man I've seen my mates shark an those things get really really big. So, although my tank may lack in size for now until I get my upgraded fish tank, you reackon I should get another shark (maybe bigger and female) just so the small one feels a little motivated and less intimidated by the other fish?

8. MRtropical Initiate Member

Hey man I just woke up like 10 minutes ago but last night I did what you said and remove some of the floating plants in my tank, so I did, and now I check my sharkie swimming about to and from either side of the tank, and my word he's fast!:;dogrun Thank you so much man he seems more inclined to swimming with the other fishes than before, CLEVA!
    :;sharky

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello MrTropical. I'm glad to hear that your shark is out and about. When you go to purchase your testing supplies, try to find tests or a test kit that includes ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. I'm not sure what is offered in your area. If you need to buy one at a time then I would buy the ammonia test first.

Your tank looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the photo.
    Ken

10. MRtropical Initiate Member

Thanks man! I'm just a little confused by the dimensions of my tank because I measured in LxWxH (91.5x33x38.5) an the tank calculator on this site said its a 505 galon? I think it is very very unlikely...maybe I got my measurements wrong because my tank isn't SO big....what do you reckon? Can you tell?

11. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I got 503 Gallons too, hmm. Are you putting in inches or centimetres?

12. MRtropical Initiate Member

Well, I just a re-measurement in CM as to make it easier for future reference. The measurements are in LxBxH (94.3x32x38).The tank is pretty big I must say...:;dolphin

13. platy ben Well Known Member Member

are you sure that is right lol? Because with those as centimetres I am getting a 30G tank, and your tank looks somewhat bigger than 30G to me? lol

14. outlaw Well Known Member Member

if it is a 155Gal, it should be something close to 72inchx20inchx24inch or 182.88cmx50.8cmx60.96cm

How did you get everything to stay in the tank like that? Looks like a real space saver! :D Nice tank

15. MRtropical Initiate Member

OK EVERYONE LOL i converted the CM measurements into INCHES (turns out this site has a very nifty conversion calculator...nice)....SO....the final measurements in inches are
    37.13x12.6x14.96 which equals to a 30.3Gallon tank. Yeah man outlaw thanks man I know its a real nifty tank, actually the rocks inside aren't fake their real (I scowered the beach for over 20 minutes to find them haha), the crevice is a toy and the plants are just plastic. BUt I dunno man there is alot of potential inside the tank and yeah its a great space saver, eveything just fits snuggly and there is more than enough room for my fishies to swim about, I just put stuff inside and just re-arrange stuff like great canyon style...(you know like you get those rocks with rocks WITH rocks ontop of each other...lol) The tank itself took about 8hours to redo because it had lots of rust,the glass was cracked and it was in desparate need of a paintjob.

Wow, long reply haha, as my fish progress in the tank i'll post my pics to show everyone...i'm still a young grasshopper lol:;balloons

16. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

So..hold on...it's only a 30 gallon tank?!

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore!

I would return the shark for now, until you get a much bigger tank, and then purchase it. :)

18. MRtropical Initiate Member

Why whats wrong with the tank?

19. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... nothing's wrong with the tank, it's beautiful. There's just a HUGE difference between a 30 gallon tank and a 155 gallon tank. It makes a big difference when we advise you about what to put in there.

It's really important to clarify the size for us. :)

20. MRtropical Initiate Member

Oh haha yeah i'm sorry about the measurements first time round man, I failed maths back in my final year of school lol:;tmiI'm just happy theres no happy problems with the tank thats all. So, what would be best advised to get for the tank because i''m going past my usual place to get supplies and stuff to stock on while i'm away so I need whatever is advised. I think you said I need an Amonia Test kit and pH level kit right?;:barf