my shark pond

1. cronic949153d Initiate Member

my shark pond and owners lol

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Cronic and Welcome to Fish Lore. Wow! Tell us more about it please. How long have you had it set up. How long have you had the fish.
    Happy Holidays!:;sman
    Ken

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

wow that is certainly something different!! Tell us more about it :)

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Dont go swimming in there! LOL, that is so cool! How many gallons is it
    Btw what is it

5. cronic949153d Initiate Member

pool is 560 gallons filled to about 510 or so
    its been running 4 months since my big shark got to big from the 210 tank upstairs
    its a diy bio filter low lighting for the sharks
    8 feet across the center of pool
    recently after those pics were taken a guy give me 2 more 18 inch sharks
    so now there is 3 big ones and 2 coming in at about a foot

as for the fish
    i have been into fish since the spring iof 2009
    fish ccrazy

:animal0068:Edited for language. Fish Forum Rules #2
    Ken

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Do you have an oscar in there too? What do you feed them?

7. cronic949153d Initiate Member

o ya

one foot long tiger oscar
    i got him from a dude that coudnt house him nomore
    my fish eat shark kibble from one of the lfs that he makes himself
    10 bucks for big tub compared to brand name food
    shrimps
    + 2 pond comets and 5 feeder goldfish{these survives from day one in the pool they were the test group against it being a swimming pool at one time nothing has died in the pool opps one feeder that got sucked into the pump } haha should see those 5 fatties

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

That's awesome!
    Not many people have the resources to actually upgrade when their sharks outgrow the largest of aquaria.

Do you have plans for a bigger pond? Those four sharks will likely take up a significant portion of that space, given a couple of years and your apparently excellent care.

9. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

How cool! I had actually condsidered turning a swimming pool into a tank for my pacu when he outgrew his tank. Sadly, I didn't have anywhere I could set itup and keep it warm so he got adopted out!

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

that is what i want to do! get some huge peices of glass then make an above ground glass pond in my room to keep a jardini arowna in!

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

If going large and indoors, you may want to contemplate using acrylic or polycarb instead of glass. It's stronger, the joints are more solid (less chance of leaking/bursting a seam), and you won't have to work with multiple-hundred-pound sheets of material.

12. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

That set-up is amazing!! I hope to have a huge indoor pond in my own house one day

13. cronic949153d Initiate Member

i do id o

i do have plans to go bigger
    till we buy a house lol we rent 1000 gallons of water and we rent
    i want a 8 by 10 rectanglie pool itll only be a couple hundred gallons more then this one but will do till we buy house then i am able to make my monster tank....that will be at least 10x10 by 4 tall all concrete and rebar
    the only rlly cost of that one will be the concrete since i am able to do all the framing and forming my slef :):): well with some help of course 4 hands r better then 2
    once we get a decent camarea around for the holidays agin i will get some updated pics of the pool and the new sharks both my new ones r bigger then the big one in the pics already
    i cant wait to c them grow to 3 feet
    maybe some babies {reshearch says it is very unlikey in homes to get them to breed but i fique since i have bigger and will have bigger that they may breed}
    shark school is so cool they all hide around the edge pool looks empty lol
    then the 5 of them mingle in the center and wow just so cool

14. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds great.
    You may be right about breeding. Most attempts to breed them are likely in tanks that measure in the hundreds of gallons, whereas you'll be looking at thousands of gallons (I think) with your 10x10 tank.

15. cronic949153d Initiate Member

just if any r wondering
    i heat it with a 1500 watt home heater sitting on the floor blowing around the pool i keep it 3 feet away with a air dericter over it
    it is normelly on the 700 watt setting or med
    on the cool nites it gets turned to high but med in morning
    i live in winnipeg and wwinters r darn cold
    i tried fish heaters but after 300 watts and 3 plugs taken up and a 1 degree change in temp after 5 days i decided this route
    cant wait for summer when it will almost self heat itself hehehe

in the 210

Attached Files:

16. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I wish more people could see what these fish grow into before they buy them...

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

wow, this is incredible! Thanks for sharing it with us. It would be awesome to have you as a part of the forum, especially to educate new members who've bought a "cute little shark" without knowing how big they get or how to properly care for them.

Welcome to fishlore. :)

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That is a cool-looking set up and some very happy sharks! Welcome to Fishlore!

19. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Looks like you're taking great care of them. Its not often you see large sharks that don't have really busted up noses from ramming into cramped tank walls.

20. cronic949153d Initiate Member

softness

ya but if u c up closes my sharks have there bumps and bangs hence thier names
    zippie crash bump bones and one without a name yet
    zippie has had a great shark life i gotta say no bangs or injuries i got him as a baby from lfs he lived in a 10 gallon for 2 days then a 75 for 2 weeks lol then the 210 till he got moved with his school he is my smallist and never has had a small space in his life no injures :):):):) gotta say proper housing for id sharks no injuries
    crash came from a lfs second smallist shark he was 10 inchs or so in a 15 or 20 gallon tank walked up the hall in lfs by him and he freaked out crashing into everything i felt so bad for him i bought him rite there since then no injurues crash has been in the 210 and the pool
    bones come from petland he was in a 100-150 tank 15 inchs long not the biggest but there was 5 of them in there he was the best looking one but still battered up a bit his fins were separted of his bones hence bones he got banged up a couple times freaking out in the 210 hurt his nose bad once :(:(
    but his fins frew bac on the bones and i got him a pool with soft sides lol nomore injuries
    bump and his buddie come to we about 2 weeks ago they have lived for the past 10 years in a 130 gallon tank but buddies wife kept complining of them freaking out and gonna bust tank so he put up the ad i gave them a home these 2 werent too battered but bump does have a fairly large claus bump on his nose the other is the smame but smaller and not as noticable but the large area and soft sides r great for them nomore injures