Help my serpaes turning white and my danios are dieing HELP

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i rinsed the filter last night and but baking soda in the water after 1 of my danios died it is on its last cycling week

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
-Don't rinse the filter while you are cycling.
-Don't mess with the pH of your tank. It fluctuates while the tank cycles. It will steady out later.
-Cycling with fish is tough on them. It poisons them, burns their gills, damages their organs, and often kills them. Since you are cycling with fish in the tank, it would not be unexpected to have caualties.
-If you aren't already doing so, daily water changes with Prime will help your fish stay a little safer while the tank cycles

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just noticed that you say in your aquarium info that you are "fixing" you pH. It's really better not to mess with it. Most fish will adapt to your pH, and it's dangerous for them to have pH fluctuate. Once your tank cycles, frequent water changes will keep pH from dropping too low. At that point, if you still want to raise pH for any reason, adding crushed coral to the tank will raise it naturally.

Can you get some Prime? Or Amelquel+? They detoxify the ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours, until the next daily water change. It's really better for the fish if you have them. Don't know about Amel+, but Prime at least isn't expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah. two investments, then, that I would strongly advise you to make. One is Prime. The other is a good quality liquid test kit such as the API master kit. Prime can save your fishes' lives, and impossible to tell where you are in the cycling process without a liquid test kit. Strips are not accurate.

Shop around online. I got my API online for 12 dollars cheaper than they had it in the store.

Here's a link about pH if you want to read it: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/62720-ph.html

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There's no option on the API nitrate test for 1ppm (or below 1ppm). So that can't have been the result. Perhaps it was below 1ppm of nitrItes, and no nitrates?

You said that you are in you final week of cycling - can you explain that? How do you know how much longer it'll take your tank to complete the process?

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the only problem left is to fix the pH (im getting a dwarf gourami when done YEAHHHH!)

i am also getting airstones

oh i was told to get prime when i run out of amquel

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom