My Second Quaker Parrot :)

stargazerwolf

Last night I decided to get another Quaker parrot off craigslist (I'd been thinking about it for awhile). He is a green just like my Rio, I think I will call him Verde. One day I want a blue, but they are hard to find around here. He has had the same owner since he was chick, came from a breeder originally, he is two years old just like my Rio is estimated to be. I don't know the actual genders of either, so I might be getting the DNA test to determine that. Right now Rio is unsure of him...she is suddenly even more cuddly, rubs her beak all over my hand and is talking a lot more, jealous I'm sure, maybe trying to make sure I still love her. She says quite often "Pretty Bird" like she's reminding me how pretty she is lol. And she keeps saying "give me kisses" and makes the kissy noises. Aw. I'm making sure she gets her cuddle time and attention (she also says many many other things)

He is also larger than her and I'm not sure if he is just fat from being fed an all seed diet or if he is just bigger. His feathers are a bit rough, his tail is short and looks chewed up but I think it was from his diet. I can't wait to see how he does on a better diet. I hope to get better pics and one of my fids together when they start liking each other lol. This one shows how rough he looks though. I'm so excited to have two fabulous birds now He is a sweetie and even lets my kids pet him, Rio doesn't.

Verde.jpg

aliray

Congrats on your new Quaker. I have three small parrots. One green quaker named Sweetie Pie. One female african red bellied parrot named Tiki, And one yellow sided green cheek conure named Chiquita. When I was looking for a Quaker I had my heart set on a blue but fell in love with my little green troll. Oh well. I also have 2 dogs and a cat as well as three 10 gal fish tanks so I think I have a full house. Alison

Lucy

Congrats on your new parrot!

I really like birds. Never owned one myself though.

What s their lifespan?

MJDuti

lol, birds live a LONG time! As a medium sized bird I'd have to guess 20-30+ years. If you are up for an insanely personal, super smart pet, that you can involve in your everyday life, then a parrot's bond is amazing. Just a lot of responsibility. We only have a lovebird, and he's a handful. My uncle had an African gray and a green Quaker growing up. I've never heard a bird curse more than a human until I met the grey.

Ali, I realllllly want a red bellied parrot. That is everything I want in a bird.

Jancy

Congrats on the new quaker. I actually found one about 20 years ago - he was about 3 years old then according to leg band. July 3rd 1991 Still going strong! Healthy and has a large, very clear vocabulary! Our quaker though is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Nice one minute but nasty the next. I don't trust him not to bite. When he tries to bite and if you pull away quick showing your scared he has a very sinister laugh! I think he may actually be doing it on purpose! He also still repeats words from I'm guessing the original owners that he had. So they do not forget! Maybe a good or bad thing Best of luck with your new bird.

aliray

MJDutI African red bellied are the best.,at least my TikI is. When I bought her off CL of course The previous owner thought she was a he and I didn't know the difference till I got home and goggled young african red bellied parrots of the same age. he was a she ,but she is the sweetest most gentle parrot, loves to give kisses and gently clean your eyelashes, she makes all kinds of interesting whistles and clicks and noises that are pleasant to listen to. she also imitates some house noises. I had wanted a male so as not to deal with egg laying ,oh well I wouldn't trade her. She also is not afraid of any new toy you put in her cage, unlike my quaker who takes a few days to decide it is not going to kill him before he starts to destroy it. Hehe. Alison

MJDuti

lol, anything paper is automatically destroyed by our bird. does your red belly speak at all?

aliray

No she doesn't she imitates sounds whistles clicks household noises ect. My quaker talks. And says things like Kisses for daddy, yum yum good, I love you Sweetie Pie, good birdy, good baby and some other things I can't think of at the moment. oh yea ,one of his favorites is Step up. If he is out and my husband is on the computer, he will amble accross the floor to his fathers shoe, bite the shoe look up and in a gravely voice he say Step up, Step up. Or he will do the same if I am in the kitchen. you feel something at your shoe, look down and hear Step up, Stepup and if I ignore him he climbs up my jeans to my shoulder then bites me in the ear. Alison

Similar Aquarium Threads

• stargazerwolf
  • Bird
Replies
Views
jetajockey
  • Sabit Safwat Rahman
  • Bird
Replies
Views
FishGirl38
  • BananaBean