My Sad Little Oscar

CaptainAquatics
HI all! I have had my Oscar Delta for almost a year now, and I have a story to tell. Right now Delta is in a 130 gallon aquarium with a few catfish, A blood parrot cichlid, and a kissing goramie. However some of you may remember clyde, my big boy oscar. Delta is around 7 inches long right now and captain is around 8 inches long. However clyde was 10 inches long. I got clyde at 10 inches long (he came with my 55 gallon tank that I got), and ever since delta was with clyde, delta relied on clyde. Delta is a wimpy oscar, he doesn't like to start fights and he doesn't defend himself much when he gets in fights (its not like there is a crazy amount of fights going on but general fights just to establish territory). Captain (my blood parrot cichlid) is the boss of my 130 and he likes to let the other fish know. He isn't a bully by any means, I mean he is 24/7 harassing my oscar but he just likes to let the other fish know where his territory is. Anyway delta would always got to clyde anytime he got in trouble and clyde would always protect him. Clyde and Delta even started to nest and I think they would have laid eggs, however about 2-3 days before christmas clyde jumped out of the tank (despite hiving a lid, he knocked it off) and passed away. Clyde was the fish to keep the other fish in check and at the time of his passing I had a flowerhorn in the tank and clyde was the only one keeping him in line. Non the less I had to get a 40 breeder for the flowerhorn because he started to bully the other fish. Ever since clyde has passed I have noticed that delta isn't quite the same. I have heard about fish that get depressed (specifically cichlids) after there partner died but I never really believed it. However ever since clyde has passed Delta tends to hide more and isn't as enthusiastic about eating. He still eats and still swims around he just doesn't have the same spring in his step as before. I decided that I wanted to get him another oscar friend so right now I am growing out a albino oscar to go in the tank and (Hopefully) cheer up delta. I feel bad for him but hopefully he cheers up when I get that new oscar in the tank. Let me know what you think about this and let me know if something similar has happened to you. IDK why I made this thread about this but I guess I just wanted to put down some more evidence that fish have emotion (as I know people who still don't believe that).

nikm128
Well, fish do have feelings, and fish can get depressed. So this is perfectly normal to me
Good luck with the new oscar, can we get a pic when you come back?
Oh, just a tip. Move some of the decorations around and leave the lights off for 24 hours when you add the new one. That'll break up the current territory and make the albino oscar harder to target

Lacey D
Oscars are notorious for having tantrums and otherwise showing that they are VERY emotional fish. Good luck, and sorry for your loss

CaptainAquatics
Here is delta:
image.jpghere is the tank:
image.jpgand here is the new albino Oscar I am growing out (he is growing out in my community tank, I plan to move him out soon):
image.jpg

Fishlover245735
Delta is very pretty. I have always loved oscars but never been able to get a big enough tank...

Beckykrow
HI all! I have had my Oscar Delta for almost a year now, and I have a story to tell. Right now Delta is in a 130 gallon aquarium with a few catfish, A blood parrot cichlid, and a kissing goramie. However some of you may remember clyde, my big boy oscar. Delta is around 7 inches long right now and captain is around 8 inches long. However clyde was 10 inches long. I got clyde at 10 inches long (he came with my 55 gallon tank that I got), and ever since delta was with clyde, delta relied on clyde. Delta is a wimpy oscar, he doesn't like to start fights and he doesn't defend himself much when he gets in fights (its not like there is a crazy amount of fights going on but general fights just to establish territory). Captain (my blood parrot cichlid) is the boss of my 130 and he likes to let the other fish know. He isn't a bully by any means, I mean he is 24/7 harassing my oscar but he just likes to let the other fish know where his territory is. Anyway delta would always got to clyde anytime he got in trouble and clyde would always protect him. Clyde and Delta even started to nest and I think they would have laid eggs, however about 2-3 days before christmas clyde jumped out of the tank (despite hiving a lid, he knocked it off) and passed away. Clyde was the fish to keep the other fish in check and at the time of his passing I had a flowerhorn in the tank and clyde was the only one keeping him in line. Non the less I had to get a 40 breeder for the flowerhorn because he started to bully the other fish. Ever since clyde has passed I have noticed that delta isn't quite the same. I have heard about fish that get depressed (specifically cichlids) after there partner died but I never really believed it. However ever since clyde has passed Delta tends to hide more and isn't as enthusiastic about eating. He still eats and still swims around he just doesn't have the same spring in his step as before. I decided that I wanted to get him another oscar friend so right now I am growing out a albino oscar to go in the tank and (Hopefully) cheer up delta. I feel bad for him but hopefully he cheers up when I get that new oscar in the tank. Let me know what you think about this and let me know if something similar has happened to you. IDK why I made this thread about this but I guess I just wanted to put down some more evidence that fish have emotion (as I know people who still don't believe that).
I hope everything works out, it is so tough when a friend commits suicide. Poor Delta, all alone.

CaptainAquatics
I hope everything works out, it is so tough when a friend commits suicide. Poor Delta, all alone.

Hi! Delta is doing a bit better now and the albino is almost ready for the 130.

DoughBoy93090
I love that you can see your wall of fish tanks reflecting off your glass in your picture.... #lifegoals lol!

nikm128
Is the albino almost ready to move in?

CaptainAquatics
Is the albino almost ready to move in?

Almost.... I just got a new cichlid moved into the tank the albino is in so I am watching to make sure they don’t get sick. I will prob move him in like 2 weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
DoughBoy93090
Replies
Views