My Routine :) Is It Good?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Iluvfishies, Apr 23, 2018.

1. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Hiya! Thought I’d update you, and see if you think I’m taking the right precautions. Ive been doing a tank reading one my tank once a day and for the past few days I’ve been doing about 15 gallon water changes in my 55 once a day since reading were a little high (not very high) today was :
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: .25ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    So I went ahead and did a 10 gallon water change to get some fresh water in it, and I gravel vaccuumed half the tank this time. (Haven’t done it for like 5-6 days).
    Should I keep doing what I’m doing until the readings come out well? Or do you have a suggestion? Thankyou very much for all your help. @TexasDomer

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Sounds like a good plan, though I would aim for larger than 10-15 gal changes if you can - when the ammonia and nitrites are worse, those small changes won't do as much to lower them as would a 25-30 gallon change.

What are you using to dechlorinate?

3. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

I’ve been using API tap water conditioner, but I have a 500ml bottle of seachem prime and stabilize on the way in the mail that I am going to be switching to.

And okay, should I start tomorrow with maybe a little bit larger water change if it is up there still a little bit? (Readings)

And a question I’ve been wondering for a long time, can you change water to much?

Not the greatest stuff in my opinion (API). @TexasDomer

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You don't need to tag me in each thread, I get alerts after I've replied.

Yes, Prime is much better, and you can use it when ammonia and nitrites added together are below 1 ppm, instead of doing a water change.

5. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Okay, so what you’re saying is once the tank is better established and ammonia and nitrites are bellow 1ppm, I can put prime in it instead of doing a water change? Or should I still do water change?
    Also, do you think I’m running into the issues I’m having is just because the tank is rather new and it’s just running through the cycle again? And by again I’m referring to the factor that I used all the water and filter from my 29 in this 55.

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, I'm saying while you're cycling, if ammonia + nitrites < 1 ppm, you can double dose Prime for the full volume of the tank instead of doing a water change. If ammonia + nitrites > 1 ppm, then I'd do a 50+ % water change, then double dose with Prime. Yes, your tank is cycling again.

When your tank is established and cycled (no ammonia and no nitrites), weekly water changes of 25-50% with the normal dose of Prime to dechlorinate is a good maintenance routine.

7. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

One last question if you don’t mind, I put a piece of mopani wood into my tank to kind of give it a more natural look and also a few pieces of dragon stone, but I’ve noticed the water is still getting an orangish color from the mopani wood. Will that go away over time? Or what should i do? Is it harming anything?

8. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Hey I just got my seachem prime in the mail, (500ml) and I rested my water and it is
    Ammonia: .25-.50ppm
    Nitrite: 2ppm :(
    Nitrate: 40ppm

I’m going to do a water change as soon as you respond but I need your advice, do I vacuum gravel at same time? Or just put hose in and drain water? Then replace water with about 2ml of prime? Or double dose? It says one cap does 50 gallons. Please help when you can!

9. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

10. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

I like your tank. So should I let it just keep sleeping until it goes away? And sorry I’m just trying to get Texas to answer my question lol scared something bad is going to happen

11. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

I removed it, but only because I didn't want my pH so low. The tannins won't harm them, their effect on the water might. Some species prefer the low pH environment and some don't

Sorry I don't have any answer for the water change questions, but the Mopani might leech for a long time. I have Malaysian driftwood in there but doesn't lower my pH as much and leeches nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  12. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Well, hopefully what I did was alright. I did a “surface skim” with the gravel vac and changed out 25 gallons of water and added about 4ml of prime to the water.

13. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It's not harming anything. Those are tannins. Beneficial for a lot of fish. It'll stop leaching over time, but it'll leach for a while.

Definitely do a big change whenever you get bad parameters like this. You can gravel vac or not, your choice. I would double dose any time you have ammonia and nitrites still, after a water change.

Sorry, RL kept me busy this week.

Water changes are almost never bad, and you want to do water changes to get ammonia and nitrites below 1 ppm - Prime won't help if the ammonia and nitrites are too high.

14. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Hiya! Thankyou for the reply! I’m glad to announce that my readings today were:
    Ammonia:.25ppm
    Nitrite:.25ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm

So I did a prime does of a capful (50 gallons)
    Yesterday was pretty much the same so I did a prime dose also. I’ll be checking it daily until ammonia and nitrite are completely gone and nitrate are in good range. Dosing with prime daily if below 1ppm total of amonia and nitrite. Does that sound good?

Small update, I took the piece of mopani out, as soon as I took it out, none of these issues kept happening for some reason. Not sure if corolated. Just added a medium clay pot, and dragon stone to the tank instead! :)

Update on a picture also :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Sounds like a good plan!

The issue with the wood should be coincidental, unless it was contaminated in some way. But normally, the wood shouldn't be an issue.

16. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Alright cool ! :) after I get the nitrite and amonia down to zero I’m going to go back to every Saturday doing a like 20gallon water change and 50%gravel vac. I was meaning to ask you but I forgot, I’m new to seachem stabilize. When should I be using it or adding it??? Do I use it in tandem with prime? Or?
    I’m hoping the purigen that comes in the mail will help with the left over tannins and cloudyness also.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

After the tank is cycled, you don't need Stability. But since it's cycling, you can add it daily.

18. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Well, good news! I ran a test yesterday and it was darn near 0 for nitrite and nitrate was 20 and amonia was zero :) so I think I’m about done with the cycle ! :)

Thankyou so much for al the help! Now I think I’ll go back to my old routine!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  19. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would wait to go back to normal routine until the nitrites are actually zero, not just near :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice