My ropefish was found dead this morning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by severage, Dec 26, 2012.

1. s

severage Valued Member Member

This makes me sad. He had gotten a brand new huge log to hide in yesterday, and he seemed to love it. Well, this morning I woke up to see how he was doing, couldn't find him, got nervous, and sadly found him on the floor. Not a pretty site. Bloody gills, body hard like an earthworm in the sun, fuzz all around him. I feel horrible. I still don't even know how he escaped. He was going to get a larger tank on Friday as well.

Anyway, how do you all cope with the loss of say, a favorite fish?

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You don't cope, you mourn, learn from the experience, and move on to do it right the next time. I'm sorry for your loss, I had to euthanize a fish myself just recently *hugs*

3. Z

ZombieKeepr Well Known Member Member

First, RIP ropefish. I'm very sorry. :(

It's never easy to loose a favorite fish and likewise, it's never easy to cope. You just have to remember that some things happen that are way past our control and we should try[and hope!] for the best in regards to our aquatic pets[well, that's true with any pet, but I digress] in hopes that, no matter how long we have them, they'll be comfortable and happy. Sometimes things we thing would make them happy can end up being their demise. It's very sad but what else can you do but try your best?

4. Ilyas

Ilyas Valued Member Member

We woke up to a similar situation this morning. Our 10" Sailfin Pleco had jumped outta the tank. Frozen on the floor as he had made it to where the A/C unit is leaking winter air. He too was moving to a bigger tank on Friday when the 75g was done cycling for him to enter. We were also discussing giving him to a friend that loves the larger Plecos and has a huge tank as well. I was not a fan of his bio-load but this is not what I wanted for him either. *Sigh* gives me the room I need for the fish I want and really should put in with big African Cichlids. Sorry for your lose and I hope you figure out how he got out so you can remedy it for the future and not have a similar incident.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Ilyas

I have had one situation so far that I could not decide to euthanize or not. He was an older fish we rescued and he was struggling badly but showing sings of improvement. Being a merciful person I do not like to see anything suffer but could not bring myself to but him down. Guilty of "what ifs" set in. Just wondering how you decided that to euthanize was best for your fish?

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

The loss of a little one that is in our care is always difficult. We treat all of the little ones in our care that have gone to join their ancestors the same way. The body is tended, and then returned to Mother Earth. We had to part with miss. Ginger two weeks ago.(she was a 15 year old cat) She is next to her father. There are those of us that believe that all of our departed little friends are waiting at the rainbow bridge, and we will see them all again when we cross over it.

7. Mrs.Price

I think you will find your answers here:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...how-humanely-euthanize-without-clove-oil.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-memorials/133848-rest-peace-merlin-magical-fish.html

8. OP
    OP
    s

severage Valued Member Member

Thank you all.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I use what I call the net test. If I can net the fish without it trying to get away, it's time. Or past time. That tells me the fish is so bad that it's oblivious to its surroundings. Fish that try to get away still have life in them which means they could recover.

10. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Every single one of my Endlers would fail your test miserably.

11. Mrs.Price

I didn't even need a net, I just reached into the tank and lovingly took him into my hands. *sadface* It was time ♥

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's because they are thick as thieves in your tank ;)

13. Ilyas

Thank you Mrs Price for the link. I will read it tonight, not likely before bed. The one thing about this miserable situation is that it reminds us of how much these creatures mean to us. My family and I did not get into this hobby out of passion or desire but rather because our daughter had a lazy eye and on suggestion got some striped fish to strengthen then eye. The eye problem is solved yet fish addiction is set in. We now have 5 tanks and 3 more on the way from my brother in the next week or so. One of the three is a hospital tank. My wife is learning about breeding and we will have some Blue Acara babies in the next day or so. I know they are not rope fish Serverage, but you are welcome to as many babies as you like. We are soon going to do some planting, but we have added moss to all our tanks so far. I guess there are some extreme lows in this hobby, especially since we deal with the lows alone a lot of the time (no vet, or other animal health care). But there are so many rewards and highs in this hobby and that is what we need to look forward to when it is hard to handle. There is always another fish that needs a home. Look on kijiji all the free fish to any home or I will have to "get rid" of it ads. Happy fish keeping and happy thoughts for you all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice