My ropefish seems.....sad

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by severage, Dec 21, 2012.

1. s

severage Valued Member Member

Ok, so two days ago we did a full on tank change (dechlorified), since Ching Chong, the ropefish, had managed to get stuck in the filter. He immediately got very passive after that, laying at the bottom. Ever since then, he hasn't been like he used to. The ph level is 7.2, tank has fine conditions. Ching Chong however, will just lay at the bottom for hours on end. If you tap on the glass constantly, he will move, but he is not as active as he used to be. Do you thinks hes just recovering from the filter incident, is that a possibility, or is something worse perhaps going on? No physical injuries it seems.

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

In my experience, if they lay there for more than a couple of days or more, it's unlikely they will recover and the next thing to expect is death... however, that doesn't necessarily mean that he will die, sometimes fish bounce back and make a miraculous recover, but sometimes they take a turn for the worst just as fast. He could have not only exhausted himself, but been traumatized by the event. Fish that don't move until you tap the glass is not a good sign, my friend :( I would be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best. These things are very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear this has happened, I hope he bounces back instead of... well, you know >.> *hugs* Right now I think it's a waiting game.

3. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks. I was thinking it may be because he is nocturnal that he isn't moving so much, as early this morning he was moving around a bit. I still am hoping he was just a bit shaken and will make a recovery, as I see nothing wrong with him.

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Keep us all posted in this thread and let us know how he progresses! :;hug2

5. OP
    OP
    s

I looked just a minute ago, and he had come out away from the foliage and swam up a bit, first time I saw him use his fins in a while. So far he looks like he is improving.

6. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Hi! I hope your fish is improving. Whatever you do, please don't tap on the glass. It's very disturbing to the fish, and at this point, you don't want to add any more stress to your fish's recovery. He might have been injured - in a way that isn't obvious - from gettng stuck in the filter earlier. Keep an eye on him. I wish you the best of luck!

7. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Hi! I hope your fish is improving. Whatever you do, please don't tap on the glass. It's very disturbing to the fish, and at this point, you don't want to add any more stress to your fish's recovery. He might have been injured - in a way that isn't obvious - from gettng stuck in the filter earlier. Keep an eye on him. I wish you the best of luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice