My roommate uses too much air freshener

thinkpink94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi fishlore,

I'm kind of in a bind. Tonight, before my roommate left the room, she sprayed a ton of air freshener in the room. We live in a teeny tiny room, and I immediately panicked about my fish (1 dwarf puffer, 5 gallon tank). I covered my tank with a towel, hoping to spare my fish. I turned on the fan, and let the room clear out before I removed the towel.

Later, I was doing homework at my desk and I noticed my puffer going to the surface and it looked like she was gulping water. I immediately panicked after watching her do this several times in a span of about 15 mins. I immediately did a 30% water change with Prime. I don't know what else I can do, but she hasn't gulped again, so I'm hoping crisis averted! She's due for a more thorough water change tomorrow.

How do I tell my roommate to be careful with the air spray? I don't want to make her feel bad, but I feel like she also thinks I'm paranoid about my fish (which I am) and so she doesn't take me seriously. Any good suggestions?

Theman1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there anyway you can put a lid on the tank? As to your roommate I would just simply ask if she maybe could use a different type of air freshener. One day I walked into my house to my wife spraying febreeze around my tank and I quickly stopped her. She had no idea that it could be bad if it entered the tank.

Alot of people know absolutely nothing when it comes to fish. So I would just tell her nicely that it can be very harmful to the fish if it gets in the tank.

Edit: I got ninja'd about the lid

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
not much you can do really except explain to her that she you dont like her using so much. Personally i hate the stuff or any other cans of spray. i canr breath with them in a room so i can guess how your fish feel

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Could you ask her nicely if she maybe not spray it near the tank?

You can also add a bag of carbon to your filter if you don't have one in there already. Just in case some of the toxins get in the water.

thinkpink94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
not much you can do really except explain to her that she you dont like her using so much. Personally i hate the stuff or any other cans of spray. i canr breath with them in a room so i can guess how your fish feel

Yeah, I agree, haha. But she's definitely going to think I'm insane. I'm pretty obsessed with my fish and I think it's hard for someone who doesn't have fish to get it

Could you ask her nicely if she maybe not spray it near the tank?

You can also add a bag of carbon to your filter if you don't have one in there already. Just in case some of the toxins get in the water.
I do have carbon in the tank

Do you think that between the water change, the carbon, and the lid, my fish should be okay for tonight?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you think that between the water change, the carbon, and the lid, my fish should be okay for tonight?
I think it's fine. As long as there is a lid on the tank and the spray is not being directly put into the tank I don't think there is anything to worry about.

thinkpink94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it's fine. As long as their is a lid on the tank and the spray is not being directly put into the tank I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Okay. Sorry for the panic, guys!! Better to over worry than not worry enough :-/

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom