My roommate uses too much air freshener

thinkpink94

hI fishlore,

I'm kind of in a bind. Tonight, before my roommate left the room, she sprayed a ton of air freshener in the room. We live in a teeny tiny room, and I immediately panicked about my fish (1 dwarf puffer, 5 gallon tank). I covered my tank with a towel, hoping to spare my fish. I turned on the fan, and let the room clear out before I removed the towel.

Later, I was doing homework at my desk and I noticed my puffer going to the surface and it looked like she was gulping water. I immediately panicked after watching her do this several times in a span of about 15 mins. I immediately did a 30% water change with Prime. I don't know what else I can do, but she hasn't gulped again, so I'm hoping crisis averted! She's due for a more thorough water change tomorrow.

How do I tell my roommate to be careful with the air spray? I don't want to make her feel bad, but I feel like she also thinks I'm paranoid about my fish (which I am) and so she doesn't take me seriously. Any good suggestions?

jordanroda

U should be fine...as long none gets into the water...U do have a lid? No...

thinkpink94

I do have a lid

Theman1

Is there anyway you can put a lid on the tank? As to your roommate I would just simply ask if she maybe could use a different type of air freshener. One day I walked into my house to my wife spraying febreeze around my tank and I quickly stopped her. She had no idea that it could be bad if it entered the tank.

Alot of people know absolutely nothing when it comes to fish. So I would just tell her nicely that it can be very harmful to the fish if it gets in the tank.

Edit: I got ninja'd about the lid

smee82

not much you can do really except explain to her that she you don't like her using so much. Personally I hate the stuff or any other cans of spray. I canr breath with them in a room so I can guess how your fish feel

el337

Could you ask her nicely if she maybe not spray it near the tank?

You can also add a bag of carbon to your filter if you don't have one in there already. Just in case some of the toxins get in the water.

thinkpink94

smee82 said:
not much you can do really except explain to her that she you don't like her using so much. Personally I hate the stuff or any other cans of spray. I canr breath with them in a room so I can guess how your fish feel

Yeah, I agree, haha. But she's definitely going to think I'm insane. I'm pretty obsessed with my fish and I think it's hard for someone who doesn't have fish to get it

el337 said:
Could you ask her nicely if she maybe not spray it near the tank?

You can also add a bag of carbon to your filter if you don't have one in there already. Just in case some of the toxins get in the water.
I do have carbon in the tank

Do you think that between the water change, the carbon, and the lid, my fish should be okay for tonight?

BDpups

thinkpink94 said:
Do you think that between the water change, the carbon, and the lid, my fish should be okay for tonight?
I think it's fine. As long as there is a lid on the tank and the spray is not being directly put into the tank I don't think there is anything to worry about.

thinkpink94

BDpups said:
I think it's fine. As long as their is a lid on the tank and the spray is not being directly put into the tank I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Okay. Sorry for the panic, guys!! Better to over worry than not worry enough :-/

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom