My rescue Blue Gem

1. mg13 Well Known Member Member

Hello, I have five minutes left, so I'll try to fit it in...

So my friend's/neighbor's mom has a friend who's daughter owned a Betta boy...

photo 3.JPG
    photo 4.JPG

His names WAS Bubbles, but the girls friend said he didn't make bubbles, and his name should be Bubbleless... lol

So she named him Freddy... and cleaned his tank... that's right... ONCE A YEAR!!!

I was sooooooo mad/sad/etc. I wanted him, so after several conversations, we (me and my friend) were able to take the fish home. He was moved into a bowl (I know, I know, we DON'T have anything else) for now, until I get my ten gallon, which he will be moved to and pampered until he is all better.

Due to his horrid conditions, we figured he is better in the bowl then the cold FILTHY tank..

So I don't get deleted for animal abuse, I'll post the pictures of his tank now, and then tell me what to do that won't take too much money... I only got 60 for now, and I still have to get a tank, heater, filter, etc....

clean tank 1.JPG
    clean tank 2.JPG

As of now, he has some aquarium salt in his tank, and I will be giving him a salt bath (Thanks poeticinjustices) soon. We fasted him for three days for the bloating...

What do you think?

The thumbnail is the filth of the old tank...

Attached Files:

2. Antoniothe3rd Initiate Member

Soooo I think I just accidentally deleted a very long post but the idea of it is this:

You have about 3 options for setting up a new tank on the cheap if you're starting from scratch, no extra equipment laying around or anything.

1. 5 gal starters usually aren't bad. Tank, lighted hood, and small filter for about 50 dollars. They're maybe not the most cost effective setup but they have what you need, and you should have just enough for a small heater.

2. But empty 5 or ten gallon tank and appropriate sized filter, heater, and thermometer. If there's enough money left for a hood, great, if not that's ok since it's the least necessary part and they can be kind of expensive. Instead just buy or rig out a cheap lit just to prevent jumping, and keep the tank in a room that gets enough light. If you're buying everything separately I'd recommend a 10 gal over 5. They don't seem to be much more expensive but they're much more versatile. It can be a big Betta mansion or you can put a divider and have two spacious homes.

3. Clear plastic container as a temporary tank. 5 or 10 gallons. Might seem strange but I've seen Goldfish people use them because a 60+ gallon storage bin is cheaper than a 60 gallon tank. If they're ok for super serious super finicky goldfish keepers for their super delicate fish, they'll be more than adequate for a betta. Put in the Normal equipment you would put (filter, heater, etc) and then just transfer it all over when you can afford a real tank and hood. It's fine mid-term. You just have to make sure the container is a safe, non-toxic, plastic. They're a few dollars at any walmart or target. But really if you're only looking for a 10 gallon tank you could probably afford a real one right away and just do option 2.

3. mg13 Well Known Member Member

yeah, I have a five gallon with a hood, and I can grab filter and heater from Walmart for cheap, but my main problem is the stand. I have been allowed another corner for my fish, but I have to get a stand to put the tank onto, and it has to match the furniture, no black or white, more wood type... I'm not picky, but NO-ONE is posting the stands that could come close to being OK. I want a stand that can hold a ten gallon, but I can put the five gallon on for now...

I know how you feel Antoniothe3rd, that happens to me all the time, its frustrating, and I have to rewrite all that info all over again.

4. mg13 Well Known Member Member

So Blue Gem is FIGHTING! but he's lossing... :'(

The tank is getting 25% w/c every 1-2 days.
    I added some aqua salt into the tank, very little though.
    working on other treatments, I might have to resort to meds, though I'm trying to get a stand with the money I have to get him out of the bowl and into my living room.

his symptoms:

The scales on top of his head are standing up, but only there, not on the body, etc.
    His left eye has become dull pale.

Blue Gem is really fighting! He is not having any other symptoms. eating like a pig, swimming around actively, breathing normally. His fins are not clamped. I mean, he probably doesn't even know he's sick!

any idea on how I can help? anything that you can find at home that can help?

thanks!!!

5. mg13 Well Known Member Member

anyone?

6. mg13 Well Known Member Member

hello?

7. mg13 Well Known Member Member

Blue Gem has moved to a new home. My best friend who is holding him, is moving so she cannot hold him any more...

He now lives with my cousin who I keep up to date... and very much info overflow..

8. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Hey I'm sorry about all of this! So happy you guys are trying to give him a better home. How is he doing right now? What tank did he end up in?
    If I saw this original post I would have recommended this tank "MARINELAND 5 Gallon Crescent Aquarium System"
    http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=/fi...m-system-zid36-17293/cat-36-catid-300065?null

Wondering how this lil guy is doing. He isn't at your house? :(

Sent from my iPhone xx

9. mg13 Well Known Member Member

petaddiction, had I a choice, i would still have him, but I don't, he lives here...
    davids fish no kids.jpg

it's horrible. If he's still alive when I get my ten gallons, he is so coming back...

but the daily water changes are doing him good. He is so much better than when we first rescued him. I wish it didn't take so long though. His scales have smoothed down, and are totally normal, no discoloration, etc. and his eye has cleared up. :) I'm very happy.

10. mg13 Well Known Member Member

You guys! Blue Gem is getting better! look at the bottom split of his tail!
    IMG_5049.JPG

11. ChromeGeno Well Known Member Member

This is impressive, you cared alot for this one fish and even got its tail healed. Though still no 5 or 10 gal. No matter since your cleaning its tank often, hope hes not bored over such little space as bettas tend to get easily hype over bigger room space. GOOD LUCK

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I know, I'm not happy about it, but i have NO SPACE! I would SO move him, but it is totally not possible.

I had to take him though, from his conditions. I feel so bad for him, he is like so bored looking.

13. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

yeah that's understandable. I would get bored too. Please try as hard as you can to get him in a larger tank. It isn't good for him to be in a small one.
    Glad to see his progress though. :)

Sent from my iPhone xx

14. Beeker Well Known Member Member

The plastic storage bin idea was good.

If you get a 5 gallon tank, you can use a tv table from Walmart as a stand.
    A 5 gallon tank with filter and hood is about $45. The tv table is about $5.
    Then, you just save up for a heater, which would be just under $20.
    You'll need a cave for the fish to hide in and some live or silk plants. Don't use plastic because that is what tears the fins.

That was the same emergency set up I did for the time my cousins bought a betta for my grandmother. They expected to keep him in a 0.5 gallon bowl with some gravel and a plastic plant. When I visited, the next day, and saw the fish, I immediately went out and bought the proper set-up. I used my filter on her tank until her filter cycled and all was well.

15. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I know, but you see, i kind of don't have him any more, he doesn't "legally" belong to me anymore, but I do definitely keep his owner accountable, and will BUY him back if I must when I have space. He grew on me, and I ABSOLUTELY love him. He has a big piece of my heart. i do my best, you can trust me on that.

"I do my best, that's the best I can do."

16. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

you did do your best now lets hope the owner takes good care of him i am liking this story and suscribing

17. mg13 Well Known Member Member

lol, cool

18. mg13 Well Known Member Member

ok, Blue Gem is definitly getting better, I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!!!!1;D:;tg:;th:;bananad2:party0011::clapping:

19. mg13 Well Known Member Member

lol, nice, an now I am here to sorrowfully announce that after a long good two years for sure, and an unknown amount of time with his first owner.. Blue Gem has passed on.

:animal0028:R.I.P. Blue Gem:animal0028:
    ? - 3.27.15
    We will miss you
    :;betta

20. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Aww:( sorry you lost him.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum