My Rescue Betta

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been really bummed out and depressed since Bindi went missing. I posted about her in "my 6 bettas" post. I am trying not to think about my failures as a betta mommy and concentrate on helping more bettas. This red betta is my latest rescue. He is a gorgeous red but has fin rot, I am beginning treatment with Maracyn 2. My LFS had him in a 1 quart vase, with room temp water and no air stone. 'BRRR' gasp gasp

She had been treating him with Bettafix, then with Fungus Clear. She was getting frustrated with curing him and wanted to put him in a large tank with other fish. She asked me first if his fin rot would be catching and I told her yes. I also told her that what he really needed was clean, warm , filtered water and a larger home. She didn't have any place to put him where he could be treated ideally so asked me if I wanted him. Of course I said yes. What else could I say? LOL So now I have a new FREE betta.

Anyhow, he is now in my 5 gallon Q tank which was set up just for him. He has a hole in his top fin and his other fins are raggedy. I think he liked his picture taken as he posed quite nicely. I am not very good at taking pictures with my camera phone, but here he is.

CherryRose

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice! He almost looks like my Bruce!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your Bruce must be a gorgeous fish also then. Have I seen his picture? If so, could you remind me of where I can find it? This is my first red male and he doesn't have a name. Traditionally I have given all my bettas names that begin with a B, but for some reason, the name Rojo keeps coming to mind. It means red in spanish. Suggestions are welcome.

CherryRose

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He is a beauty, Cherryrose, and you know what they say, "Love comes from unexpected places" - well I think that is an adaptation of a saying, but I am sure he will be a joy to you. Way to go! ( Is there something wrong when the LFS asks a customer how to care for a fish???) ??? Val

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
cherryrose said:
Your Bruce must be a gorgeous fish also then.  Have I seen his picture?  If so, could you remind me of where I can find it?  This is my first red male and he doesn't have a name.  Traditionally I have given all my bettas names that begin with a B, but for some reason, the name Rojo keeps coming to mind.  It means red in spanish.  Suggestions are welcome.

CherryRose 
I think Rojo is good, a nice step away from the B. But I also went with a B theme for my fish, haha. And I named my Mystery Moon Snail Al because he eats algae all the time. Just don't name him Beavis or Butthead.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on your new rescue CherryRose.. we're sad Bindi left early, but still think you're a great Betta mommy with a heart for these wonderful fish. This new guy is a beautiful red that my wife would like to have - if that's ok.

Good luck getting him on the mend and hope to see his fins regrowing soon.. Any other languages or synonms for red that would give you a B name?

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Congrats on your new rescue CherryRose.. we're sad Bindi left early, but still think you're a great Betta mommy with a heart for these wonderful fish. This new guy is a beautiful red that my wife would like to have - if that's ok.

Good luck getting him on the mend and hope to see his fins regrowing soon.. Any other languages or synonms for red that would give you a B name?
Nice try, but I'm afraid that I already love him too much to give him away...even to another Betta lover like your wife. That's the drawback in rescuing bettas.

Thanks for the thought on synonyms for red.
I have decided on the name Blaze. I think there is someone else on this forum that has a fish named Blaze. I am wondering, is their Blaze red also?

captain_bilbo said:
I think Rojo is good, a nice step away from the B. But I also went with a B theme for my fish, haha. And I named my Mystery Moon Snail Al because he eats algae all the time. Just don't name him Beavis or Butthead.
LOL Don't worry Beavis and Butthead are names that I would never choose.

voiceless_kat said:
He is a beauty, Cherryrose, and you know what they say, "Love comes from unexpected places" - well I think that is an adaptation of a saying, but I am sure he will be a joy to you. Way to go! ( Is there something wrong when the LFS asks a customer how to care for a fish???) ??? Val
LOL again! At least she listens to me. She has never had a pet store before and really has a lot to learn about fish. She is welcoming any help I can give her.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it was Rose who had a Betta named Blaze, who recently was lost to a pond snail infestation? It's a great name for a red Betta.

LOL about my wife wanting the red. I know, you get attached to them fast. I felt bad when that one that only lasted 2 hrs died.. it's the Betta bug.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blaze is a wonderful name for him and he is lovely. I am sure my Blaze would have heartily approved. It is so nice to have another Blaze.

Welcome Blaze.

Rose, Alex, JT, Nate, Marty JR. and soon Demon

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aw,he is so such a good looking boy. In thepicture he looks Fluorescent pink. I hope he gets over the fin rot fast. From the pics it doesn't look too bad. Welcome Blaze! Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom