My Recent (personal) Fishkeeping Revelation

1. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I was pondering fish things last night, and I had this major mental revelation about my direction in our hobby. I'm probably in the minority here, but I figured out that I don't want or really like any huge tanks or fish. The biggest fish that I ever want to own is a firemouth, and I've never owned anything bigger than a rubbernose pleco. My tank right now is a 20 long. I can tell you that I'll never buy anything larger than a 40 gallon. I just have no interest in buying a massive tank. My experience in the hobby started with smaller fish, and will always stay that way. Sorry about the rant. But am I the only person that feels this way?

2. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Although I would have used the word "decision" or "mind set" instead of "major mental revelation", I'm not one to judge if realizing that you are only interested in keeping fish is this important to you. Honestly, if I had the choice and the knowledge, I would be very interested in keeping very large schools of smaller (3 - 4") fish. But in order to have 50 or so tiger barbs I would need a tank probably over 100 gallons. You should keep in mind that small fish generally are more entertaining to watch in larger groups in larger tanks, so don't confine yourself to just smaller tanks, and always have an open mind. Keep whatever interests you. Don't rule a certain fish out because it needs a larger tank or is bigger than 6".

Saying "My experience in the hobby started with smaller fish, and will always stay that way" and "I'll never buy anything larger than a 40 gallon" are very large assumptions. If you don't want to keep certain fish or own certain tanks at the moment, don't. But don't confine yourself to never keeping larger fish or owning larger tanks, an open mind is a better mind. Rules are important, but having strict rules in the aquarium hobby may lead to a loss of interest, flexibility is important.

3. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

I'm with you. Given, I plan on moving in around 1-2 years, most likely into an apartment or house with room mates. The last thing I want to have to lug around is a large 100 gallon tank. For 1. If I get an apartment and am put anywhere else except ground level, the aquarium will probably bust the floor. 2. I simply don't have the cash for something that large and probably won't for a while. I recently purchased a 29 gallon high and that's definitely as big as I want to go for now. That's not to say I don't want to keep larger fish, I do, but I'm not going to put myself in a bind just to house an animal.

4. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I'm just not interested in any 'large' fish at all (7 inches and over is my definition). Just not appealing to me. I'd rather have a few smaller tanks than one giant one.

5. OP
    OP
    MattS99

And what interests me is smaller fish. I've been surrounded by the hobby my whole life and have been keeping my own fish for 11 years, I think I know what interests me at this point. I'm not confining myself to anything. I know it seems like I am, but I'm not. I don't think these so called 'strict rules' will make me lose interest because they're not rules to me. They're prefrences. I just never really realized how I really felt about this topic until the other night.

6. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

Why, some people are really only into nanoaquariums. Whatever tickles your fancy, that's the beauty of it.

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

The only large fish I have isn't a fish at all but an amphibian and even that one won't need above a 20L. Right now it's in a 10 because it's a 3-4 inch long baby but eventually I will be putting it in the 20L and getting one more to keep it company. I have a 40B that I may just put them in instead but that's really all I am interested in. I don't want anything super large like my dad and I used to keep. It was a lot of maintenance. I already have four tanks running and one more is where I tap out LOL!

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

My mind is opened to any and all fish , of any size or shape ect.. I have 15 tanks , from livebearers, Bettas , Large cichlids , goldfish , small cichlids ect.. I don't judge on size , a small fish or like any other fish has personality. I keep deferent sized tanks ranging from 5g all the way to 90g , currently in the progress of getting a 220g.

But in the end we all have our own interests , I know of many who don't like livebearers and rather have large cichlids , and others love them and don't have interest is keeping large cichlids.

To each our own.

9. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

It's important to recognize where you are in life and your own personal interests and have realistic expectations and recognize your limitations.

We've always had a veritable zoo. Over the years, that included guinea pigs that necessitated building a cage the size of our dining table. My sister had a colony of hermit crabs that started with a vacation purchase which led to reading which led to buying friends which necessitated buying a (MUCH) larger tank for her hermies. My niece is currently on her third tank size for her python.

I kept a tank way back when undergravel filters were "all you needed for freshwater". I always wanted a larger tank and now that I'm in a place in my life where I have both the time and the money, I'm going to enjoy them. I just started a 10g Betta tank. I have a 29g community tank that I just put together today which will begin cycling. And I plan for a 75-100g tank for the remaining wall in my bedroom, but it will probably wait until after the first of the year.