My re-vamp. 20 Gallon Tank

1. samantha.h Member Member

I re-did my 20 gallon tank this morning. The loss of my community of tetras last night made me want to get rid of all the stuff that was in there and change it so I wouldn't have to look and be reminded of what once was. :(

So I got rid of the dark gravel and "fruit loopy" decorations and went for a completely different look. I'm hoping to get 2 goldies as soon as my parameters stop being all out of whack. I think it'll be ready in a couple of weeks.

Here's a before picture and an after picture:

EDIT: If you notice the nylons, I'm transferring bacteria via the old gravel. That's why they're in there. :p

Attached Files:

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Love the new look! The "Buddha" ornament really adds a calmness to the tank.:;perfect

3. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Nice looking redo!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I adore the new tank..looks great!!!!!!!!!!
    In the new tank with the gravel, make sure you are giving the tank some type of ammonia source to feed the bacteria :)

good luck!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry about your tetras. :(

Great job! I love the funky colors!
    What size tanks are they?
    Someday I'd like to do something like that and have glo-fish!

6. samantha.h Member Member

Thanks for the tip, Shawnie. I still have my pure ammonia, so should I add a bit of that every day for the next couple of weeks?

I think my tank is having a mini-cycle or it reset or something...my ammonia is at 1 ppm nitrites and nitrates are at 0 ppm. I don't think my nitrates should be so low, they're usually around 10 and that was with live plants in there.

The funky color one is how it used to look, Lucy. lol. It's the same tank, 20 gallons. :p

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

ohhhh...lol ok.
    Well, I like them both!

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

was the tank all the gravel came from fully cycled? if so , for how long? and how long have you had the gravel in the new tank? as well, have you been feeding the ammonia to the new tank since using the new gravel?
    sorry for all the questions but it helps me give better advice ...

9. hud316 Member Member

Both tanks are lovely, but the funky one is well smart :;cr

10. samantha.h Member Member

The tank it was from (the same tank) was fully cycled for 3 months. New gravel is a day old. I dunno if I can really add ammonia now, I've got snails in the tank. The tank is still cycled because it's still got the same filter. I just wanted to make sure the bacteria would transfer to the new gravel. What am I doing wrong? lol. I know there's got to be something.

11. sun82 Member Member

Nice look! the earlier decorations were also good... in fact... it looks "WOW!" for the contrast it creates!!

what fishes are u having / going to have in this tank?

12. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Love the new look. Simple but very effective. Good job.

13. samantha.h Member Member

Thanks! :) I'm planning on at least 1 goldfish. I may push it to 2 smaller ones and then upgrade once they start getting a little big. We'll see.

Thanks!

14. baddfish Initiate Member

You know, in all the years ive been in this hobby, i never really went with the "non-natural habitat" look but ive got to say i really like how that tank came out! Great job with that statue in the center! :;toast

15. Morgan Member Member

Sorry for your loss. :console: Both set-ups look great, though I like the new one the best.

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

17. sun82 Member Member

if the gold fish is big, then a few pair of tetras with the gold fish would make it very colorful and match the color setting of ur tank... :)

am not sure if the tetras wud nip the gold's tail though

18. jagdish v Initiate Member

great... fantastic... the revamp...

19. samantha.h Member Member

Thanks everyone! I'm about to make a post with a couple of pictures/a video of the new inhabitants. :)

EDIT: Well actually, rather than posting a million different threads, I'll just put the pictures/video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4-m_lcmy0

Their names are Jet and Chewbacca. :) Jet is the black moor, which means Chewbacca is the little red cap oranda. Sorry about the weird clicking noises in the video...my new camera likes to make clicking noises when I'm recording videos for some reason. I think it's trying to adjust the blurry-ness or something.

Anyway, these two seem to like to pair up a lot. Every time I look in there they're either side by side or near each other. Haha.

Attached Files: