My random start screen

ZombieKeepr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
haha, well a lot of people hate windows 8 because on a computer like mine[yes, that has an apple sticker on it so it's HP + apple = happle according to random people xD], the touchscreen optimized UI can get into the way, but if you have even a basic knowledge of how to do more then hit the power button[which 8 boots very quickly from I might add!] you can make it to where you rarely see the start screen.

Anyways, as usual, my computer felt more like mine as I got to customize it how I wanted.

Now I get to see my animals and pylons in a home away from home.

Just think it's kinda cool the things you can do with this OS when you give it a chance and take the time to play with it.

Oh and no, I'm not supporting windows only. My devices are/were varied. All in all, I've had 6 Samsung devices all Android - 2.2, 2.3, 4.1 & 4.2[Samsung Galaxy Mini, Indulge, Captivate, Prevail 2, s3 & Tab 2 7.0], a LG Optimus F3[Android 4.1], a Nokia Lumia 521[Windows Phone 8] & most recently a iPhone 5c[through an actual Verizon 2 year plan I don't know why I thought it was a good idea].

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

You need to try a recent distro.

The only problems I've had with Mint have been using Google products like Picasa (they stopped at version 3.0 or thereabouts) or Google Earth which crashes regularly.

I use a proper GIS programme instead.

ZombieKeepr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm honestly not a big fan of Linux except for Android which is really the only one I stand behind[too many of those devices to count but never anything below 2.2 ... all the way up to 4.4]. Besides, windows 8 has that new look that ditches how a lot of other platforms have handled information. I like the flipping tiles, animations, how the apps and internet are so deeply entwined, colors and customization. I get that's not everyone's cup of tea, though but I don't get why most people can't be bothered to try it. It's faster then any other version and once you try it[and get used to it which takes more then a few hours] -- you can't go back.

It's also like my phone ... I was hesitant to swap from something I knew so well[Android] with random features like NFC and other things I can't remember right now ... but swapping to iOS was NICE. It's responsive and all the devices get updates when they come out.

I'm not one to trash anything because everything can have faults and flaws but honestly, I vote that people just go with what works for them. Honestly, android on my tablet, iOS on my phone & windows 8.1 on my laptop is PERFECT for me.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm honestly not a big fan of Linux except for Android which is really the only one I stand behind[too many of those devices to count but never anything below 2.2 ... all the way up to 4.4]. Besides, windows 8 has that new look that ditches how a lot of other platforms have handled information. I like the flipping tiles, animations, how the apps and internet are so deeply entwined, colors and customization. I get that's not everyone's cup of tea, though but I don't get why most people can't be bothered to try it. It's faster then any other version and once you try it[and get used to it which takes more then a few hours] -- you can't go back.

It's also like my phone ... I was hesitant to swap from something I knew so well[Android] with random features like NFC and other things I can't remember right now ... but swapping to iOS was NICE. It's responsive and all the devices get updates when they come out.

I'm not one to trash anything because everything can have faults and flaws but honestly, I vote that people just go with what works for them. Honestly, android on my tablet, iOS on my phone & windows 8.1 on my laptop is PERFECT for me.
Never knew Linux was used as a mobile OS for smart phones.

renthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm actually quite fond of Fedora/Win7 dual boots. I use Fedora 90% of the time, since I'm quite fond of my terminal, then boot into Windows if I feel like playing some snazzy game or something. My webcam even works for google hangouts. It's really quite nice. Also, as of recently, Fedora behaves really really well with touchscreens.

By the way, a note about Windows 8 being a fast booter... It's not actually booting, most of the time. Before I scrubbed that OS off my laptop, I did some experimenting. 90% of the time, unless you actually creep around and shut down in a special way, Windows 8 does not shut down. The BIOS doesn't even have a chance to POST when you turn the machine on, it just pulls windows out of sleep mode or whatever it's hiding in. That's my problem with Windows... it tries to completely take over the machine and get into things it shouldn't.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom