My Rams spawned. Advice?

1. keegee1012 Member Member

My german blue Ram pair has made their very first spawn today. This morning I saw both parents chasing away bigger fish away from a planted area with a couple of rocks. Thought it was a territory thing but when I looked carefully I found eggs on one of the rocks hidden very well from the plants.

The Discus and the Angels don't mind the area where the rams are very much. My only concern what if the Tetras or the Pleco Found them.

And I don't want to remove the eggs and the parents as Im afraid they might eat the eggs. Help?

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Lucky, I wish I could get some to spawn. If they're a new pair they probably don't know much about parenting, and the eggs will get eaten sometime. It's fine- they'll spawn again in a few weeks, and might do it better.

You have, like, all of my dream fish- discus, rams, angels, pearl gouramis...

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You want my advice?

Give all the babies to me! ;D

If this is their first time, you're just going to have to let them figure it out. They'll get it eventually. Theres a reason why most early batches don't make it!

4. gourami88 Member Member

Just be thankful this isn't really true of first-time human parents :p We won't eat the first few kids!

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Some humans should..... <.<

6. gourami88 Member Member

Working in retail and seeing some of the wee monsters that can tear through the aisles you could very easily convince me this may be true (or that their parents should have been eaten as young offspring lol).

7. keegee1012 Member Member

@Nippy - I wasn't even expecting they would spawn. I was quite shocked at the parents. And I thought they were just doing territory defense.

@Akari - So far the Parents are not eating their eggs. (Nor would I want them to x3) And i dont want to give em all away! My first batch of baby rams should be kept with me! (Im pretty sure not all the fry would survive after egg stage)

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm glad they're doing good! Once the eggs hatch, the parents may have trouble protecting the fry, and might even just end up eating them their selves to prevent predators from eating them.

Good luck with them :)

9. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Nice! I've heard angels eat their eggs if they can't see when it's dark, because they're afraid other fish will get them. Maybe you should leave a night light on.

10. keegee1012 Member Member

Thank you all! ^_^

The parents have spawned in a tiny little crevice, no luck to the angels and discus fitting in there. The Tetras make excellent 'targets' for the two. It seems they take turns doing 'guard duty' and egg fanning.