My rainbow fish just had babies!!!

peapuffer123

After I did my water change today baby rainbows hatched in my tank I wasn’t expecting babies but boom 10 sesame seed size fry pop up I’m super excited but I have no idea how to care for baby fish so any tips or advice would be super useful, also I have a spare 10gal if they need to be raised in a separate tank

I’m super excited but nervous that they’ll die so if you have any advice at all I appreciate it

Also any tips on how to move them to a breeding net would help because they are TINY

Jonahtheplecolvr

I would put them in a breeder box so they wont get eaten. Most fish stores and the big box pet stores carry them. Beyond that i dont have any other advice because all I have bred is mollies and platies. Good luck

peapuffer123

any Idea what to feed them?

Jonahtheplecolvr

I have fed my mentioned livebearer fry flake food that I crushed with my fingers, If rainbowfish fry have small mouths I would feed them liquid fry food.
I would also put them in the spare 10 gal for now so they wont get eaten as parents generally eat their fry ( and humans think they have mean parents lol) until you can get a breeder box unless there are alot of plants in your tank or other hiding places.

Barrk2

I’ve never had any, but I was reading about breeding dwarf rainbowfish and they were recommending live daphnia and infusoria. And removing from the main tank as parents will snack

peapuffer123

I’ve never had any, but I was reading about breeding dwarf rainbowfish and they were recommending live daphnia and infusoria. And removing from the main tank as parents will snack
sadly I dont think I can do either of those foods I'll prob just crush some flakes

veggieshark

If you have no means of culturing live food, you can try boiled egg yolk filtered through fine meshed cloth. It is messy, so you need to feed carefully and probably either vacuum the uneaten food or do frequent water changes. Depending on which type of rainbowfish you have, you may have large enough fry to reach a size that can eat powdered dry food soon.
For catching them, you can use a cup (cut out the bottom of a plastic bottle for example). They typically stay at the surface, so it should be easy to catch them without a net. You can use a cloth tea strainer as a net but you can damage them with a net.

peapuffer123

If you have no means of culturing live food, you can try boiled egg yolk filtered through fine meshed cloth. It is messy, so you need to feed carefully and probably either vacuum the uneaten food or do frequent water changes. Depending on which type of rainbowfish you have, you may have large enough fry to reach a size that can eat powdered dry food soon.
For catching them, you can use a cup (cut out the bottom of a plastic bottle for example). They typically stay at the surface, so it should be easy to catch them without a net. You can use a cloth tea strainer as a net but you can damage them with a net.
My tank is pretty well planted and they are all hanging out in my pothoses roots I really want these little guys to do well

how do I feed them egg exactly?

veggieshark

My tank is pretty well planted and they are all hanging out in my pothoses roots I really want these little guys to do well

how do I feed them egg exactly?
I put the boiled egg yolk in a tea bag, get it wet and squeeze in a cup. Then I use a dropper or a sringe without a needle to put what comes out of the bag in their tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WisteriaFarm78
  • MysteryMomma
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Megaanemp