My questionable Barb

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
From this forum it has been determined that my fish I received as a gift and called as a Rosy Barb is in reality a Red Tail Tinfoil Barb.
I've been looking on YouTube and I'm still a little confused. He just doesn't seem to fit the 'mold'. So, I uploaded this YouTube video of him.
Perhaps with these clear shots of him it can finally be determined as whether he is truly a Red Tail Tinfoil Barb or some other Barb.

Comments please.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't see the video on my iPod but the fish in the pics from the other day is definitely as tinfoil barb. Rosy barbs are rounder and well, more rosy. . His shape and color, coupled with his rapid growth and platy(?) snack all point to tinfoil barb.

-Lisa

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Dave, thats definitely a Tinfoil Barb. Nice looking fish, they get BIG though.....

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I posted about the Tinfoil Barb in May and now it's almost August. He is still in the 10 gallon tank. I had to remove some stuff so he could get around a bit better. He has grown now to about 4" or more. I'd really like to get him a larger tank, but alas, it's cost prohibitive right now. He seems very happy and is the cleanest house keeping fish I ever knew! He keeps the whole tank spotless. He eats like a pig and I keep him well fed twice a day. He zips around the tank with total abandon, and is a kick to watch. He watches me like a hawk every time I pass by in the hopes that I'll drop some more food in. He once got so rambunctious he jumped clear out of the tank whilst I was cleaning it. No harm done but he sure was confused for a while
I know he's going to outgrow this tank - I just don't know when his size will demand a larger tank.
What do you all think? Can he grow to 5" or 6" before I 'have' to move him?
Any opinions as to the harm done a fish that would normally grow to a foot or so, being stuck in a small tank? I've heard their 'insides' suffer somehow, but I don't know if I believe that. I'll go search around for
'big fish in a small pond and see what I can find'.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Search for "stunting in fish" instead. Stunting is generally bad for fish, but some people will say that their insides keep growing, and others say that's a fish myth.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah my rosy barbs are only about 3 inches and two of them are a few years old. Definitely not a rosy.

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a picture I just took of Sonny, my tinfoil.
He's quite a character and the whole family is growing quite attached to him. - And that might just be the reason he 'may' soon have his own larger tank. Who knows, maybe even a tankmate (his own size of course, if I can find one.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yup, he's a "Golden" Tinfoil Barb. I would say, the sooner that you can get him a bigger tank, the better...check craigslist or classified ads for good deals on tanks. You can usually get a 55 gallon for $100 or so.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads