My pure Ammonia wasn't pure...??

Chrisrod340

Reaction score
Hello,
So i bought some what i thought was pure ammonia for a fish less cycle. The bottle only said Ammonium Hydroxide. After 4 days of adding stability, i saw no drops of my ammonia. I was wondering what was going on, so I googled the ammonia bottle, and it turns out there's 3 other ingredients in it...

So what should i do. 100% water change and start over? Thanks.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What do you mean by “I saw no drops of my ammonia”?

OP
Chrisrod340

Chrisrod340

Reaction score
My ammonia levels stayed at 2ppm, after adding stability (bottled bacteria) for 4 days now?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can’t say whether you used the correct ammonia or not (not enough information), but tanks typically take 4 - 6 weeks to cycle.

Whether bottled bacteria speeds the cycling process is a subject of much debate.

OP
Chrisrod340

Chrisrod340

Reaction score
I am currently 3 weeks in my cycle. I had been using fish food for the 1st 2 weeks, but my water got to smelly and stank up the room, so I decided to switxh to pure ammonia. Here's the ingredients to the bottle.

Attachments

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe the next to last ingredient is a detergent, which isn’t good.

Maybe some chemical experts can weigh in.

OP
Chrisrod340

Chrisrod340

Reaction score
I think ima just do a 100% water change and start over. Better safe than sorry. Im in no rush to add fish. Thanks for your help and time.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best way to tell is shake the jug. If it has cleaning additives it will get sudsy. pure ammonia will get non or just little micro bubbles that disappear very quick.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chrisrod340 said:
I think ima just do a 100% water change and start over. Better safe than sorry. Im in no rush to add fish. Thanks for your help and time.
That seems like the best option. I'd shy away from anything that's a cleaner as there will probably be something added to it. If your tank is smaller, go for something like Dr Tim's Ammonia (dosing on bottle is wrong, add less). If it's large (about 50+ gallons) something like Fritz Pro powder may be more cost effective. Using powder will be hard for smaller tanks as it's very concentrated (learned this the hard way).

New Threads