My problematic 7 gallon is...

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by guppylady, Jun 29, 2016.

1. g

guppylady New Member Member

After 2.5 months of no fish the 7 gallon tank still HAD not cycled. I've posted in previous posts about this. After a bit of back and fourth I've decided to basicly restart the aquarium by dumping out 90+ of the old water and adding all fresh water without cleaning the filter so not to kill all the bacteria if there was any.

I made what I think now was a mistake of adding my beta, Mr. Sparkles, into the large aquarium from the bowl I previously had him in.

So now the ammonia levels are sitting at 0.25 vs the 8.0 previous reading. Big question is now what? I'm real worried Mr. Sparkles got poisoned and may die as an end result. If he does I'm just going to buy a few "feeder" fish and let them help the cycling as I know it's better to cycle an aquarium with fish vs empty. I love my Mr. Sparkles but have no way to treat him other then what I've done.

So what I need to know is just how frequently should I be doing water changes and just how much of the 7 gallons should I be taking out?

I'm frustrated to a VERY high level at the moment.

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Why don't you buy some bottled bacteria? It'll save you and your betta a whole lot of stress. Beyond that @Texadomer should be able to help. Hope all goes well.:)

3. V

Vcvc16 New Member Member

Well for my experience, when I cycled my tank (2 days ago) all I did was change 40% of the water weekly which was a bad idea and nobody should have done it I think. If you want to take my advice, I would recommend, like most others, daily 50% water changes. As in changing 3.5G everyday. Don't forget to add some dechlorinaters and/or water conditioners or you can just leave buckets of water for 24H! Good Luck :;hi1

4. OP
    OP
    g

Tomorrow I'll be going off to the pet store and buying up some stuff.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I commented on your previous thread about this but you'll want to test daily and do at least a 50% water change if either ammonia or nitrite are >1ppm. If less than 1ppm, dose Prime for the full volume of the tank. I'd also pick up Seachem Stability and leave Mr. Sparkles in the 7g. All this back and forth from this tank to another is going to stress him out. After you're cycled, stick with at least 25% weekly water changes with a gravel vac and only rinsing your filter media in the removed tank water or in dechlorinated tap water.

And doing a fish-in cycle is no better or worse but I don't agree with getting feeder fish just to cycle the tank with.

6. OP
    OP
    g

Mr. Sparkles is one tough fish! He survived the night when I thought he'd die and looks more happy and normal now. He's eating as he should, giving him a small bit extra to help with his energy levels. Did a good water change and will test tonight to see after about 24 hours how things are going.

He's one tough fish that's all I have to say. Good boy Mr. Sparkles.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice