My Pregnant Swordtail and the babies 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by cejaychan11, Mar 20, 2010.

1. c

cejaychan11 New Member Member

:;fg
    Hello,
    i would just like to ask some questions that keeps bothering me..

prob 1:
    i just want to ask if it is possible for a blue platy to mate my swordtail...
    The story goes like this: 3 week right after my swordtail dropped off her babies, i've observed her tummy's getting bigger (but i still don't have a male swordtail all i have in my tank is: 2 female guppies, 1 male black molly, 1 blue platy, and my female swordtail)

prob 2:
    how long do i have to quarintine my swordtail and guppy babies... (my guppies are 2 months old and the swordtails are 1 month old..)

have a nice day.. :)
    thank you in advance.... ^_^

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It's my understanding that Platy's can interbreed with Swordtails. Most live bearers can also store sperm for a couple of months, becoming pregnant when water conditions are right even with no male in sight.

I wouldn't add the fry into your main tanks until you are certain they are too large to be eaten by other tanks mates.

Best of luck!
    Ken

3. m

master of fishes New Member Member

i agree with aquarist48.
    DO NOT put in the fry until they are grown up.

4. m

master of fishes New Member Member

th probs happened to me when all and i mean all my babies were eaten and i had no other babies to take care of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice