my pregnant platy is scratching her belly is that normal or signs of labor? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpressley10, Mar 23, 2010.

1. j

jpressley10 New Member Member

hello, I have Pregnant red wag platy and i noticed she is starting to rub her belly on items and plants in my tank. I have had her for about 1 week and she doesn't do it often probably 5 or 6 times a day. She looks fairly big so i think she is close to delivering. I have had outbreaks of ich before but i haven't noticed any typical signs other then the scratching. No other tank mates are doing it and there are no white spots on her. If this does turn out to be ich, i do have baby moly fry (about 1 week old) in there as well, will they die if i do treatment? i typically just raid the temp to about 84F
    My water is fine 0ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and 15 nitrate.
    Tank mates are 4 mollies, 4 platy, 9 panda cories, 3 juli cories, 1 betta.
    Thank you Jessica

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

Increased temp (I usually go up to 86 but that's just me)along with increased air supply (air stone) Higher temps decrease O2 in water so be sure they get extra O2. Plus vaccum gravel at least daily for 2 weeks to get rid of all 3 stages of ICH. A lot of work but it always works for me and I never use medication on ICH. BTW my Platy is HUGE at the moment and doing the same thing. She is in a 10 gal by herself at the moment with temp at 86. With tons of plants and 2 - 6" air stones.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    j

jpressley10 New Member Member

So do you think that it is ich? or just a typical sign of pregnancy?

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I think it's just she's SO big, but I don't take chances

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice