My Poor Water Sprite... : (

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by SFGiantsGuy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

This is my 30 gal. Livebreeder tank. Nitrogen deficiency perhaps? Hi tech CO2 set up, Easy Green and Flourish mix, alternating every other day with Flourish Iron and Potassium, as well as Flourish Advance once per week. And even a small bit of Excel. I have 2 Finnex Planted +’s on for about 10 hours per day. FYI Crypts, (already have new baby Crypt plants even after only 3 weeks!) Red Tiger Lotus, Dwarf Lilies, are growing just fine. My Wisteria is finally showing some promise as well. Java moss is doing ok too. Floated some of the Water Sprite as well. Help please. Pretty please.

Attached Files:

2. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I wish I had the solution but I totally don't. I have a hoard of water sprite that's been around since I started my tanks and it seems to go through phases - bright green, thick as and growing like crazy, then a bunch turns brown and melts away, then it comes back. All of mine is floating, I've never been able to keep it down. I don't use any fertilizers or co2. I have gotten some diatom looking algae on it before they killed some of it and looked similar to yours - I use a "siesta period" in my light cycle as recommended by Diana Walstad and that has helped immensely - I could never maintain ten hours of light otherwise. My lights go off for I think three hours in the middle of the day and it breaks up the growth cycle of the algae. If the leaves are just melting though, then... ehh, I don't know. You seem to be caring for yours much better than I care for mine. Is too much nutrients a thing?

3. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Too much nutrients COULD be a determining factor--in theory. Although the main argument of concept is: In years past until now, I have NEVER had any issues with CO2, deficiencies, ferts, light etc. I think it may be the fact that I tested for Nitrogen early on, and it was very low, about 1-2.0, thus perhaps the plant's only still in it's initial "recooperation/recovery" stage and hopefully will come back strong. As you may know, striking the "balance" in a planted tank CAN sometimes be a great pain and a frustrating dealio of discovering and maintaining said balance. I think since this tank is only 3 weeks old, a certain amount of ups and downs can be expected. And anticipated manifested in the hierarchy of thee bioload and frequency of light CO2, etc. I doubt it's from light burn either...think it's just melting a bit from previous insufficient parameters and exposure is all...otherwise, the plant would be even worse now! lol

4. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I think you are correct. Mine always goes through a bit of melt, even when I'm just moving it from one tank to another and the params of my tanks are near identical. It's a finicky plant sometimes but man, when it gets comfortable it really takes off! I'm almost out of surface in my tanks, it's all just water sprite...

Wish I could get mine to grow planted like that. It does look nice.

5. ljm0104

ljm0104 Valued Member Member

I have mine planted and floating. Floating can take a bit more time to adjust and get a gorgeous green to it in my experience. When moving between tanks or after a huge change such as a complete rescape mine will melt a bit. If it is not new in the tank I usually just give it a good trim and cut it back quite a bit so it can concentrate on new growth. In my opinion they grow back faster right after a huge trim. When mine gets crazy on top and starts floating over too much of the surface I'll trim the top four or five inches and then plant those tips down in the substrate.

If it was me and all my ferts and Co2 were good I would leave my dosing schedule as is and just give the water sprite time to adjust.

6. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Excellent. Thank you sir.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice