My poor plants

Angelika
I have about 3 live plants... they are not so great looking , they have algae on them which I cannot rub off, they are getting tiny holes in them... and someone in the tank is eating them for supper as I can see little nibble marks on the edges of the leaves... suppertime isn't concerning to me, but the brownish algae is not too appealing, I don't have algae any other place but my plants.....

angelfish220
Ottos eat brown algae, If you have room for 3 ottos they would take care of all algae problems.

Then the holes might be from a deficancy. Do you have a fertilizer you use?

Blub
What kind of plants, and what kind of lighting?

You may want to re-think your stocking ideas: the 10gal is overstocked and both fish need a much bigger tank, and both species in the 20gal need a school of at least 6. BTW, where did you get GloFish in the UK?

Angelika
I guess the plants started looking like this in the 12 gall, but now they are not in there they are in the 20 gallon, and I thought I had 6 neon tetras but I actually have 8 and my 2 glo fish school with them.... they all seem happy enough, plus the 3 hatchetfish that hang in the current and bubbles having a wild time at it.... 3 platys and my cuckoo catfish.... I know I'm at the limit to fish... which is OK as I'm currently looking for a large tank, and my readings are all great......
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
nitrates 10
PH 7.6 - 8 depending on which bottle I use to test it.

I just went and looked at the lighting, it is 17W flourescant (sp) long bulb...

I got the glo fish here in Phoenix... I English but I live in AZ for the moment.

Angelika
Oh and don't know the names of the plants.... I could take a pic if that would help

Butterfly
Oh and don't know the names of the plants.... I could take a pic if that would help
a pic would help
Carol

Angelika
Here we go....

Kyrra

Blub
Well, when you get the bigger tank you MUST get the hatchets at least 3 more friends, since they are schooling fish and a stressed hatchet is a nightmare to deal with!

Angelika
would I be overstocked to get them 3 more now..... I want to keep them all happy and I don't mind doing water changes more frequently...

I love these hatchets they are so much fun to watch...

Blub
would I be overstocked to get them 3 more now..... I want to keep them all happy and I don't mind doing water changes more frequently...

I love these hatchets they are so much fun to watch...

Well, PM me and I can give you more hatchet info that you know what to do with!

That does not look like algae on your plants. They appear to be dying. I can't tell exactly what kind of plants they are, but they look like a Bacopa.

Angelika
oh no even worse. I'm killing my plants

thankyou, now I'm over 50 posts I will take you up on your offer and PM you oh my gosh, I just noticed you are an Englishman... now we will have tons more to chat about haha!

joy613
The first plant looks like a crypt.of some type..they are known to melt in the tank If your crypt melts back leave the roots alone sometimes they will start regrowing if they are alive The second looks like a java fern. The java fern has a rhizome that shouldn't be planted it should be tied to either a rock or driftwood. The java fern reproduces by little baby plants on the leaves usually mine does that when they start looking like yours. Both are pretty low light plants but the crypt would do better if you put a plant tab near the roots. Once the plants start growing faster the algae will disappear.

Angelika
thankyou so much for your advice, I will attend to them first thing in the morning.... what do you mean by melting? the crypts roots seem to be growing well, I have them tied aound a rock...and they are spreading out...

Butterfly
Crypts are suppose to be planted in the substrate. When it's said the crypts "melt" the leaves just seem to disintegrate. This is a trait of crypts. If the roots are healthy the leaves will grow back.
Carol

Angelika
when I bought it it was in a pot, they told me to tie it around driftwood or a stone... I will take it off the stone and place it under the substrate and see what happens..... thanks Carol.

Alasse
Here we go....

Kyrra

The first one looks like an Anubias (will have a rhizome), which is sposed to be tied to driftwood/rocks, or a type of Sword (will have roots), which should be planted in the substrate.

The second pic looks to be Java fern, and also sposed to be tied to driftwood/rocks

It certainly looks like algae to me, otos will clean that off. Or lower your light for a few days (blackout if bad enough).

Blub
The brown one looks like a Dracaenea that's been in water to long. Well, I'm not saying it is a dracaenea - but it looks dead which is what a dracaenea that's been in water to long is.

Butterfly
when I bought it it was in a pot, they told me to tie it around driftwood or a stone... I will take it off the stone and place it under the substrate and see what happens..... thanks Carol.
Hum.. Here is a pic of a rhizome. If this is what the roots look like then it needs to be attached to a rock or a piece of wood.

otherwise plant in the substrate.
Oh and um welcome
Carol

Angelika
the roots didnt look like that, so I untied and stuck them in the substrate. The plants have only been in my tanks for 2 months. Now the store did tell me that the plants they had in stock primarily perferred acidic water, and mine having a higher PH is more alkaline.... I wonder if that is making the difference.

Butterfly
I think I've raised plants from 7.0 to 8.0 and they were fine I don't think it's your ph.
What kind of light do you have ?
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
raptor22
Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question
Replies