My Poor Green Silver Dollar.

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by AnglerLuke, Jun 6, 2019.

1. AnglerLuke

AnglerLukeNew MemberMember

So, my man survived the ich battle I believe (no more spots or weird actions) but now his eye is swollen. A quick search on the forum suggests poor water quality. My test strips (sorry folks pay day is tomorrow) say my water quality is fine I also just did a 30% water change yesterday. All expiration dates on water treatment products and test strips are good. I tried using the sick fish template but I haven't read or used a forum on my computer for ages and its kicking my butt lol. A second check shows Nitrates at 20 ppm. Any thoughts?

2. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Probably ran into something and it got infected. Clean water is generally enough for it to heal. How many silver dollars do you have and what is the tank size?

3. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

currently I have the one green silver dollar, with other fish in a 20 gallon...they are all juvenile. I am cycling the new 75 gallon home for them. Hopefully you are right about the injury. the little guy just got done fighting ich, and now this. seems like a tough little guy though, I think he will be alright. Thanks for the reply my friend!

4. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Silver dollars really need to be in groups. They're very skittish fish.

5. OP
    OP
    AnglerLuke

I did not know that initially. as soon as I have the new tank up and running I intend to get him some friends of his own kind. Learning what I have so far, there will be a quarantine period for them in the 20 gallon first. I try to learn something new everyday to improve the quality of life for my new friends. going forward, much more research will be done before and fish are stocked. Thank you again for taking the time to assist me!

6. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, once the big tank is cycled I would get 3-4 more silver dollars, and QT them in the 20 for a month or two depending on if anything shows up