my poor common pleco

cory dawg

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and noticed that my common pleco was injured. He still seems very lively but I noticed he has been "cut" open and looks like he was nibbled on....I also do believe he is missing a fin now....What do I do?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since common Plecos are pretty well armored, what do you have in there that could do that much damage? or could he have gotten caught in some piece of equipment or decor? I would isolate him in anoter tank first thing, make sure his water is kept clean and he has plenty of food. Then watch for disease.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres nothing there that could have injured him. Hum.... and chance it was equipment?
How is he today? Hope he's feeling better.
Carol

s2reii

Reaction score
Hey

I'm no expert but I have two common plecos... who kinda had a "cut" both in similar spots between the eye and gill... more like a spot and it looks really raw like someone had nibbled on it.. anyway sadly my large one died because I treated it too late (couldn't figure out what it was)

I went to my LFS and they told me about a natural medicine called "Melafix".. anyways it's brilliant, I'm not confident about ANY medications coz they never seem to work for me, but it fixed up the wound on my smaller common pleco in about one week. It started healing in about 3 days... by a week and a bit the skin was growing back.

Well goodluck with your fish... I really do love suckerfish hehe

s2reiI

OP
C

cory dawg

Reaction score
1.jpg

2.jpg

here are some pics...not the greatest....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love them too, I have 1- 8 in Rhino plec, 1- 6in albino Rhino plec(try saying that real fast!!), 1-6 in common plec, 11 bristlenose and 21 bristlenose fry.
By teh way I HAVE BRISTLENOSE FRY!!!!!
I had frogottenn to ell anyone
Sorry you lost teh one but glad teh other is better., could they have injured each other?
Carol

s2reii

Reaction score
yeah I was so sad when my "monster" died... he got that name because he seriously was the most toughest fish I've ever had, it survived through everything!! and he is very much missed.... hmmm I dunno if they injured each other but I doubt it, they kept out of each others way coz one was pretty small lol 4cm and monster was like 13cm. I think it could have been sumthing besides an open wound because a wound that small shouldnt of killed him....

OMGOSH U have FRY? I'm so excited haha, they must be so cute and puny... my boyfriend is trying to breed his, how old are they when they start to breed? and how many do you have?

s2 reii

btw saying "1- 6in albino Rhino plec" fast sounds funny hehe

OP
C

cory dawg

Reaction score
I have 2 young. they are both about an inch and a half long. One has this infection of some sort and is in a hospital tank right now being treated with Melafix. The tank he came from was as follows.....

My water parameters and tank are as such............

29 gallon freshwater community
occupants are....
5 Mollies (assorted)
6 Gold Barbs
1 Rubber lipped Pleco
3 small (really small) clown loaches
6 corys
1 Panda Cory

The tank itself has been running for about 3 years.
the water parameters are
PH- 7.5
AMMONIA- 0 PPM
NITRITE- 0 PPM
NITRATE- 30 PPM
IT HAS 3 FILTERS ON IT.

1 WHISPER 10
1 EMPORER 280
1 HOMEADE CANINTER FILTER ( THE CONTAINER IS 4.2 QUARTS IN SIZE AND CONTAINS CERAMIC RINGS,FOAM AND CARBON IN A MEDIA BAG. THEY ARE ALL CHANGED WHEN NEEDED. SPERATICALLY OF COURSE.dON'T WANT TO DESTROY ANY BACTERIA THAT IS NEEDED. ALSO WEEKLY WATER CHANGES (SATURDAYS) FROM 40 TO 50%.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
s2reiI since I don't want to hyjack Cory dawgs thread we can continue the "breeding bristlenose" idea already started in the breeding forum under bristlenose fry thread
cory dawg keep us posted as to how your pleco does.
Carol

s2reii

Reaction score
Hey Cory.

I hope your pleco gets better, I always get worried when fish get sick I always feel so helpless. The melafix is great... well as far as I know its great for healing open wounds fabulously... just remember to do a 25% water change after a week. and continue to use it till you feel that the fish is recovering fine... I ended up using it for about 2 weeks I think...

gOodLuck sorry I can't be anymore help

ddolphin

Reaction score
Hey, I just went through something similar with my pleco. It almost looked like the side of him was raw. We did a 50% water change and then added some stress coat to the water. This seemed to the trick he healed with in days. They are very hardy fish, we have had ours for over five years. Good luck I hope everyhting turns out OK.

New Threads