My poor cat :(

Kribensis27

I just found out my favorite cat in the world has a heart condition that could kill him at any time. He's the best cat ever. He's super smart and the friendliest cat I've ever met. He's the dominant one of all 5 of our cats, but he rarely fights with them and always tolerates them messing with him. The vet says we can't do anything about it and we just have to give him the happiest life possible for as long as he lives. He's only 5 right now, and we have no idea how long he has left. He could live to 20, or he could only live to 6. We just don't know. Apparently there isn't anything that can trigger it, it can just happen. Turns out my mom has known since his first vet appointment with us, and she decided to not tell us until now, 3 years later, to avoid us stressing out about it. I know this isn't a very interesting post, but I just needed to talk to someone about it.

BigManAquatics

That is not fun. Make sure to spoil and love him rotten!

Upvote 0

SecondTime

Awww, Kribensis, my heart goes out to you. Our pets, whether fin, fur or feather, are members of the family. I will offer a special prayer tonight for you and your kitty. Hopefully he will live a long and happy life.

Upvote 0

smee82

Sorry to here about tour cat. Hopefully he lives to a ripe old age.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I'm so sorry about your cat. Here's hoping he lives a long life!

Upvote 0

JollyOtter

Very sorry to hear about your cat. They are part of the family. Spoil him and cherish each day, no matter how many that may be. What is his name?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

My heart goes out to you friend, many best wishes for your kitty. It's just an extra reminder to appreciate every moment together, hopefully you'll get to experience many more. <3

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

I am so sorry I sincerely hope your kitty lives a long, happy life.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

I'm so sorry. My favorite kitty Ollie died this spring due to viral feline leukemia. He left behind his twin and closest friend, parker. He was only 2 years old. I still blame myself for not bringing him in for immunizations, because his condition was preventable. I miss him a ton. It must be so hard to find that out. I hope he lives a long happy life, no matter how many days he has left, I'm sure you'll make them the best days ever.

Upvote 0

Fisch

The cat does not know....so both of you have to take the glass is half full approach. Life is short, both of you should enjoy each individual day to the fullest, no matter if he is sick or not.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

That is not fun. Make sure to spoil and love him rotten!
Awww, Kribensis, my heart goes out to you. Our pets, whether fin, fur or feather, are
members of the family. I will offer a special prayer tonight for you and your kitty. Hopefully he will live a long and happy life.
Sorry to here about tour cat. Hopefully he lives to a ripe old age.
I'm so sorry about your cat. Here's hoping he lives a long life!
Very sorry to hear about your cat. They are part of the family. Spoil him and cherish each day, no matter how many that may be. What is his name?
Thank you. His name is Momo. Weird name, I know, but my mom just started calling him that one day and it stuck.
My heart goes out to you friend, many best wishes for your kitty. It's just an extra reminder to appreciate every moment together, hopefully you'll get to experience many more. <3
I am so sorry I sincerely hope your kitty lives a long, happy life.
I'm so sorry. My favorite kitty Ollie died this spring due to viral feline leukemia. He left behind his twin and closest friend, parker. He was only 2 years old. I still blame myself for not bringing him in for immunizations, because his condition was preventable. I miss him a ton. It must be so hard to find that out. I hope he lives a long happy life, no matter how many days he has left, I'm sure you'll make them the best days ever.
I’m so sorry. It must have been terrible. Thank you so much, I will do my best to keep him happy.
The cat does not know....so both of you have to take the glass is half full approach. Life is short, both of you should enjoy each individual day to the fullest, no matter if he is sick or not.
Thank you so much for your kind messages everybody. Momo is currently happy and as healthy as he can be, and I’ll do my best to keep him that way. My family and I all love him immensely, and I know this is a good home for him. Apparently he’ll be perfectly normal one second, and not the next. His heart would just give out. No restarting it, even if we had the equipment right there. We’ll give him lots of love for as long as he has. Again, thank you all so much, this was exactly what I needed to hear right now.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Ok, update on him. It's not good. In the past few months, he's lost quite a bit of weight. In his case, that's not a good thing. He wasn't overweight, and most of the weight he had was muscle. He just started relatively quickly losing muscle mass.

He's now thin & bony, relatively lethargic, and just seems "smaller", if that makes sense. He also seems to be spending less time grooming, and his fur appears a bit messy and dull. He seems a lot like our previous cats when they got old, but he's still fairly young.

He's also had issues controlling his bladder lately. He pees on anything left on the floor, and often goes outside of the box.

We finally got him to the vet the other day, and it appears he has previously undetected kidney disease. They're not completely sure yet, but that's what they think for now. They don't know what stage it's in yet. The fact that he's been losing weight and seems lethargic can't be good signs though.

According to what my parents told me the vet said, this will likely be the thing to kill him eventually, rather than the other condition. He's having bloodwork done now, and I should have some more updates soon.

This poor cat can't ever seem to get a break.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Ok, update on him. It's not good. In the past few months, he's lost quite a bit of weight. In his case, that's not a good thing. He wasn't overweight, and most of the weight he had was muscle. He just started relatively quickly losing muscle mass.

He's now thin & bony, relatively lethargic, and just seems "smaller", if that makes sense. He also seems to be spending less time grooming, and his fur appears a bit messy and dull. He seems a lot like our previous cats when they got old, but he's still fairly young.

He's also had issues controlling his bladder lately. He pees on anything left on the floor, and often goes outside of the box.

We finally got him to the vet the other day, and it appears he has previously undetected kidney disease. They're not completely sure yet, but that's what they think for now. They don't know what stage it's in yet. The fact that he's been losing weight and seems lethargic can't be good signs though.

According to what my parents told me the vet said, this will likely be the thing to kill him eventually, rather than the other condition. He's having bloodwork done now, and I should have some more updates soon.

This poor cat can't ever seem to get a break.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my cat Ollie very suddenly to viral leukemia. We had to put him down the same day he showed symptoms, It was really really difficult since he was basically my best friend.
I hope your kitty has the best time he can with you guys, however long that is.
I'm sorry I don't have anything more reassuring than that, but there's really nothing you can do, which is a blessing and a curse, I'm sure you understand.
I cared for one of my cats up until the very end, when she died of old age at 21 years.
She had a lot of grooming and bladder issues, and I kept her comfortable until she died with me one morning. If you need any help with care, I might be able to give some advice.
I'm so sorry this has to happen to your cat. I'm sure he's had a really great life with you, and he'll continue to have the best life possible!!

Upvote 0

SecondTime

Awww, so sorry. You know you are doing all you can. Just continue to keep him comfortable. He's lucky to have someone so caring to be with him through this ordeal.

Upvote 0

DirtyWater

I'm so sorry to hear about your feline friend.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Ok, a lot happened since my last update. We found out the kidney disease was very bad, and he might've needed to be euthanized. After that, they said to leave him at the vet for a few days for treatment to see if he improved. He was there for three days, and improved quite a bit, and they say he can live with the disease as long as we keep him on medication for the rest of his life, and give him special food.

He's super happy to be back, and seems much more energetic now. He still looks like a skeleton though. They also shaved him in some areas, so now he's got a bunch of patchy bald spots.

Also, apparently his kidneys were already damaged at birth, so that's part of the reason this happened. And I guess he has a thickened heart muscle too, so that's fun.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Ok, a lot happened since my last update. We found out the kidney disease was very bad, and he might've needed to be euthanized. After that, they said to leave him at the vet for a few days for treatment to see if he improved. He was there for three days, and improved quite a bit, and they say he can live with the disease as long as we keep him on medication for the rest of his life, and give him special food.

He's super happy to be back, and seems much more energetic now. He still looks like a skeleton though. They also shaved him in some areas, so now he's got a bunch of patchy bald spots.

Also, apparently his kidneys were already damaged at birth, so that's part of the reason this happened. And I guess he has a thickened heart muscle too, so that's fun.
I'm glad to hear he's improved. Enjoy every second with him and he'll do the same!!! <3

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Olivia Janae
  • Cat
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
  • WrenFeenix
  • Cat
Replies